PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Shrimp!!

zackish
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I come home today to see my amano with more eggs than a farm sittin under it. I know they won't hatch but still pretty cool.

CAF
10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I come home today to see my amano with more eggs than a farm sittin under it. I know they won't hatch but still pretty cool.
I haven't managed to be successful yet, but you could convert her to brackish, then when the zoes drop, you convert them to salt, they molt into small shrimp, then start converting the tank back towards fresh....

Its not easy at all... but it has been done by others....

zackish
10-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I haven't managed to be successful yet, but you could convert her to brackish, then when the zoes drop, you convert them to salt, they molt into small shrimp, then start converting the tank back towards fresh....

Its not easy at all... but it has been done by others....

Ya I know, I just don't have the time for any of that right now nor feel like starting another tank.
Like I said to my mother I would love to if I didn't have school and stuff.
Right now my mother and sister take care of my tanks like fertilize and feed during the week and I come home and prune and WC on the weekends.

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
you don't need them in a tank. You could just use a large glass jar. like 5 gallons. lol. or a 1-5 gallon would work. But all they eat is phytoplankton. So just culture some and then you are on your way. lol.

EDIT- P.S. congrats

zackish
10-12-2007, 11:54 PM
you don't need them in a tank. You could just use a large glass jar. like 5 gallons. lol. or a 1-5 gallon would work. But all they eat is phytoplankton. So just culture some and then you are on your way. lol.

EDIT- P.S. congrats
Still too much work ahaha....idk it probably really isn't but I am lazy now. My nano tank now is keeping me on my toes.

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 11:55 PM
well i guess that the zoes will be a treat for your fish in the tank. lol.

BTW...the eggs will hatch in freshwater but the zoes will only live for a couple of days.

zackish
10-13-2007, 12:17 AM
well i guess that the zoes will be a treat for your fish in the tank. lol.

BTW...the eggs will hatch in freshwater but the zoes will only live for a couple of days.

zoes meaning baby shrimp? And ya they are going to love that. I just bought frozen blood worms for the first time today and they love it.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 12:38 AM
zoes meaning baby shrimp? And ya they are going to love that. I just bought frozen blood worms for the first time today and they love it.
yeah...baby shrimp are called 'zoes'. And yeah my fish love the blood worms. Have you tried brine shrimp?? frozen or live??