PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria

marco31
10-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi all ,
Well i've been cycling my tank with fish in it for the last 6 week, and It's starting to settle down now and all level are ok at the moment,

I was jsut wondering should i clean the gravel now, i've started to notice that there is a lot of bacteria in the tank in sections, Is this a problem if the levels get too high? and what is the best way to remove it, i've tired once section to suck the bacteria but it then spread all over the tank and about 50% was removed by the filter .

any suggestions would be great , thanks

Marco

At the moment i've 8 Silver Dollors and 10 Neon Tetras will introduce new fish in anohter 4-6 week.

Dave66
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
That's cyanobacteria, marco. Happens all the time in newer tanks. Keep removing, and as your tank matures, you'll see less and less 'til its gone.

Dave

marco31
10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
great thanks so nothing to worry about, will remove as much as possible tonight

CAF
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
great thanks so nothing to worry about, will remove as much as possible tonight
Also I would not add any new fish until you have conquered this fully. That way there are no new sources of nutrients for the bacteria.

marco31
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I will do , no new fish are going to go in for another 5 weeks anyway, but this issue seems to have died down now and tank is looking good.

Lady Hobbs
10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I couldn't help but notice that you have 18 fish in your tank but you didn't mention how many gallons it is. Neons do not do well at all in a tank trying to cycle and silver dollars can not tolerate nitrites at all either. I hope they were added after you cycled?

Don't do much cleaning yet or you will set that tank back. I would just wipe the glass off inside and do your regular water changes and let the rest go for now and not add more fish for a while.

marco31
10-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi there,
Thanks for the info, the Dolors and tetras were added after abotu 6 week, then tank would be 11 weeks old now, and all level are ok for the most part, doing a regular water change too.

Marco