PDA

View Full Version : convict help???

Arkie
10-12-2007, 07:50 AM
i just bought a male white convict today and put him in with my female. she is all colouredup and swollen in the belly so im assuming she's full of eggs. the problem is that she is chasing the boy all over the tank.
is it just a dominance thing? or a breeding thing? or what? im hoping they will settle down and breed.
but im a bit worried as two weeks ago i got a striped convict thinking it was a boy and as soon as i put my white female in with it, she chased it all over the tank aswell, and within a week the new one became all coloured up too and it turned out to be a girl.
so is my white girl chasing the new one today because it is a girl too? or is it just normal convict behaviour to chase your mate to be????

crackatinny
10-12-2007, 09:18 AM
This is all very confusing Arkie, pics of each convict may help.

Firstly, all coloured up and fat, may mean she is about to lay, but was she in with a male at all?

Secondly, how many convicts total are in the tank?.

Another way to tell a male is the top fin, it protrudes further over the tail, I will try to find a pic of my pair, to show the difference in the top fin.

crackatinny
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Here are pics of both mine Arkie, the striped is the female, note the top fin pulls up about even with the tail, the white is the male, see how the top fin tends to flow a little further.

Hope this helps, but pics of yrs would be an advantage.

Arkie
10-12-2007, 11:42 PM
the female hasnt been with a male since april, i lost that male unfortunately for some unknown reason. the only fish are her and the apparent male. i cant get a good photo of him, he is hiding behind the rock, so i put my hand in there to force him out but the female came and bit him to force him behind there again. his fins arent as long as your male so maybe it is another female..... geez,

leesto
10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
My female behaved exactly the same way about 2-3 weeks after her eggs hatched. Up until that point they had been a good pair and suddenly they seemed to turn on each other. She chased him relentlessly and every opportunity he got, he'd dart into her swarm of fry, something he'd never done before. After 1 or 2 weeks they seem to have paired up once again and shes looking like shes ready to lay eggs again.