PDA

View Full Version : swordtail - brackish water

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 01:23 AM
can swordtails live in brackish water????

Thanks.

CAF
10-12-2007, 01:29 AM
can swordtails live in brackish water????

Thanks.
if slow drip acclimated.... yes. Might also depend on the species (not color morph, most Swords in the hobby are X. helleri)

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 01:32 AM
ok...cause my swrd mama's are having babies like crazy so i thought that i could throw some in with my fiddlers and see how they do.

Also how do i exactly 'drip acclimate' them??

thanks.

gm72
10-12-2007, 01:33 AM
I'd really advise against this. Swords are freshwater fish.

Sort of like saying you could live right next to the smokestack of a power plant after you got used to it.

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 01:34 AM
o......................ok....well in pet stores i have saw swordtails in brackish water tanks before and they did fine.

CAF
10-12-2007, 01:36 AM
ok...cause my swrd mama's are having babies like crazy so i thought that i could throw some in with my fiddlers and see how they do.

Also how do i exactly 'drip acclimate' them??

thanks.
You place fish in a bucket, with just enough water to swim then slowly drip brackish (or salt if converting a brackish fish to salt) water into said bucket. You do this through airline tubing and by tying a knot in it to control the amount of flow.

cocoa_pleco
10-12-2007, 03:11 AM
do it like CAF said, the saltwater drift way.

im sure they'll be fine in brackish. i think the only livebearer that can live in full marine are molly's

CAF
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd really advise against this. Swords are freshwater fish.

Sort of like saying you could live right next to the smokestack of a power plant after you got used to it.

Most live bearers come from river systems that are near the ocean. I have collected Swords in Mexico that were almost in SW Salinity..............

Fishguy2727
10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Some may tolerate higher salinities for a short period of time, but they are not brackish. As said they are freshwater fish. You may see them in some LFSs in brackish, but that doesn't mean they will do well in it long term at all. The LFS may also have their brackish tanks diluted. The big issue is that most are captive bred and altered from their wild form, so just like mollies the captive varieties may not have anywhere near the tolerance of their wild forms.

However, it may be a good experiment. Try a few in their and see how they do. If they do better, we have our answer.

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 05:33 PM
ok yeah well i was thinking of putting them in with fiddler crabs and i heard that fiddlers wont eat fish that are in the tank so i thought that i would try it.

Do you think that that would work???

Thanks,
lol

I am in civics class right now and i am supposed to be doing work. lol.
This is like the only sight t hat isn't blocked at my school. lol

Well suggestions are open. Thanks.

cocoa_pleco
10-12-2007, 09:30 PM
ok yeah well i was thinking of putting them in with fiddler crabs and i heard that fiddlers wont eat fish that are in the tank so i thought that i would try it.

Do you think that that would work???

Thanks,
lol

I am in civics class right now and i am supposed to be doing work. lol.
This is like the only sight t hat isn't blocked at my school. lol

Well suggestions are open. Thanks.

a little off topic, but at my school most stuff is blocked, including block skippers like skippast.com. we found one that works though. if you type this exactly, https://www.vtunnel.com it should work, it works as long as you put the https:// infront of vtunnel. you can get youtube and everything

squirt_12
10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
sweet...i will have to try that cause like i always try to get into my email while i am in school and it doesn't let me....and like today i was showing my friend something and then i realized i needed youtube so i couldn't shor her the whole thing. SO i will def. try that.

Thanks