PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp beginner needing serious education on species

richberstler
10-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Seriously, I know I've been complaining here and there. I'm pretty sure at this point my Ghost Shrimp are actually Amano Shrimp. I now just bought a "Japanese Algae Shrimp" for $3.75ish. It looks the same as the $0.30 Ghost/Amano shrimp I've been buying. A little bigger, same spots along the side. Do the major LFS chains have a clue? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm still ignorant outside of the fish I like to keep, so all invertebrates are new to me. Can people share actual pics of the real shrimp species for myself and anyone else wanting to know?

I'm so aggrivated at all the different pics of the same shrimp I find on the net. It's almost like half the people have no clue, just like my LFS. I see the same shrimp I have as almost every species out there.

Maybe they all look the same with subtle differences, but I usually feel like some of the people aggressivly pulling out my new friends can't even spell the word "subtle"....

Can anyone please provide some help here? I really just want to be educated on what I'm buying.

Algenco
10-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Check the variety section, nice pics

http://www.petshrimp.com/

CAF
10-11-2007, 03:54 AM
http://www.planetinverts.com/

Heres another one.

XRTech
10-31-2007, 02:59 AM
What you have are Amano shrimp. I bought mine from PetsMart for the same price. They are great shrimp to have. Great at eating algae and keeping tank tidy. They get about 1.5-2 cm big. They will breed, but you won't get baby shrimp because they need brackish water. Hope this info helps.

richberstler
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
it helps. thanks.

Azear
10-31-2007, 08:10 PM
They will breed, but you won't get baby shrimp because they need brackish water. Hope this info helps.

In fact, you don't just need Brackish water... you need some salinasination (Salt-thinngy) stades in order to make them hatch and develop correctly.

richberstler
11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I've decided I'm being hosed by Petsmart. The $4 Japaneese Algae shrimp and the $0.30 Ghost shrimp I'm fairly certain are all really just Amano shrimp. Which is fine I love watching them, but the prices are quite different. Had to spend the extra to get 3 more yesterday so because of this I will continue to list them seperately in my tag lol.