PDA

View Full Version : I feel awful...and elated...

gm72
10-11-2007, 01:55 AM
So I'm sitting here enjoying one of the 40 gallon long tanks. Something catches my eye. Wait a minute! What the heck?

Baby cory, about 3/4" long. How could I have missed the eggs? The fry? I feel awful, truly. Elated, too. I thought the corys had just recently laid their first batch of eggs, and here I come to realize that they obviously have been spawning for some kind! Weekly water changes and hours sitting next to this tank and I NEVER NOTICED? I mean, some times I leave the fake plants in a state of disarray from water change to water change to provide some environmental variety, which the fish seem to enjoy. Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything?

Sounds silly, yes, but I just don't know how to feel! I mean, I should have noticed the eggs before and maybe the fry, too.

Wow...just...wow.

squirt_12
10-11-2007, 01:58 AM
wow....congrats on the fry...well now you know that you have breeding pairs of corys. lol.

good luck..
about how big are they and what kind are they?

gm72
10-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Only one fry that I see, type unknown. I have had them for a while, got them from a little fish shop I rarely go to. Just recently in 2 different tanks I have 2 pair of breeders.

The fry is very difficult for me to describe. Looks just like the parents, they have a wonderful metallic sheen, but there are so many kinds of corys that may match my poor description! I'll try to get a picture later this week.

Arkie
10-11-2007, 02:09 AM
congrats :22:

squirt_12
10-11-2007, 02:10 AM
well thats good that you got them to hatch and you didn't even know about it. lol.
congrats again :19::11:

gm72
10-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Well I guess, I mean, my tank conditions are always very good, I just am so in tune with these fish, I don't understand how I could have missed something like this!

EDIT: They look like they are aeneus from what I can see, not sure from there.

squirt_12
10-11-2007, 02:15 AM
hahahahah well the eggs are so small and you probably wern't looking for the eggs wither so it didn't boggle your mind to go look for some eggs cause you didn't know that you had any.

I hope that what i just said (^^^^^) makes sence. I can talk in a very confusing way. lol.

SkarloeysMom
10-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Aren't those 40g long tanks called "40g breeders"? Good tank conditions in a that tank and how could you not have fry? LOL! I guess you're bummed that you missed the process though. I understand that. Well at least you got one little baby. Congrats! I guess you'll be peering around that tank with a magnifying glass for a while, right? HA! I'm always hoping that one of my zebra danio fry with actually make it to adulthood but I think they all get gobbled up by their parents.

CAF
10-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Congrats on the fry.... And do not feel bad, I believe this is something that can happen to all of at one time or another. I know it has happened to me more than once.

Rue
10-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Congrats on the baby!:1luvu:

gm72
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Aren't those 40g long tanks called "40g breeders"? Good tank conditions in a that tank and how could you not have fry? LOL! I guess you're bummed that you missed the process though. I understand that. Well at least you got one little baby. Congrats! I guess you'll be peering around that tank with a magnifying glass for a while, right? HA! I'm always hoping that one of my zebra danio fry with actually make it to adulthood but I think they all get gobbled up by their parents.

The 40 breeders aren't the same. The breeders are far more deep/wide (front to back).

CAF
10-11-2007, 10:41 PM
The 40 breeders aren't the same. The breeders are far more deep/wide (front to back).

He is trying to say they are shallower.....

gm72
10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Breeder: 36x18x30

Long: 48x12x17

(Roughly)

Lady Hobbs
10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I've asked myself 20 times why I never have any babies. You can't tell me these tetra's or rasbora or no other fish haven't laid eggs in all this time. (Other than angels, of course) I know my bottom feeders have got to be eating any eggs that ever get dropped.

I would love to have some baby dollars! If I can figure out a pair, I may have to separate them and see what happens.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
congrats and you shouldnt feel bad, its not easy spotting a tiny little cory fry when your not lookin for them

gm72
10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all for the kind replies. I guess if I couldn't spot fry in a 5.5 gallon tank when I was looking I shouldn't expect to see them in a 40 gallon tank when I'm not. Oh well, at least the one survived and will live on!

CAF
10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks to all for the kind replies. I guess if I couldn't spot fry in a 5.5 gallon tank when I was looking I shouldn't expect to see them in a 40 gallon tank when I'm not. Oh well, at least the one survived and will live on!
Thats the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SkarloeysMom
10-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Breeder: 36x18x30

Long: 48x12x17

(Roughly)

Oops! I was wrong. I thought I saw a 4 foot long tank at this LFS that was marked as a 40g breeder. Well, you learn something new every day.