PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Bristlenoses

deckard_wa
10-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Earlier this year, due to an unreliable relative who was supposed to take care of my fish while we were away we stumbled on what seems to be a sure fire way to induce bristlenoses to spawn......

We went away for a couple of weeks and when we came back, nitrates in the tank that houses among others a male and female BN were over 40ppm which is waaaaaaaaaaaay high for my tanks. I immediately did a huge (probably 80% or so) PWC to get this down, and soon after baby BNs started to appear.

My Severum gets most of the little fellas but a couple always manage to survive somehow.

I've tried this a few times now, and got some friends to do the same, and it seems to work every time. Let the water quality go a little bit south, do a very large PWC and then sit back and count the fry!! I've got dozens in there now, they are in my HOB, and internal power filters too. Makes filter cleaning a bit stressful, but they seem to like it.

And the tank has never been so clean lol

CAF
10-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Earlier this year, due to an unreliable relative who was supposed to take care of my fish while we were away we stumbled on what seems to be a sure fire way to induce bristlenoses to spawn......

We went away for a couple of weeks and when we came back, nitrates in the tank that houses among others a male and female BN were over 40ppm which is waaaaaaaaaaaay high for my tanks. I immediately did a huge (probably 80% or so) PWC to get this down, and soon after baby BNs started to appear.

My Severum gets most of the little fellas but a couple always manage to survive somehow.

I've tried this a few times now, and got some friends to do the same, and it seems to work every time. Let the water quality go a little bit south, do a very large PWC and then sit back and count the fry!! I've got dozens in there now, they are in my HOB, and internal power filters too. Makes filter cleaning a bit stressful, but they seem to like it.

And the tank has never been so clean lol
Thanks for the info!!!!!:19:

gm72
10-11-2007, 01:57 AM
VERY interesting! Very interesting indeed!