PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp questions!!! your Opinion please :-)

scotchbonneteater
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi,

I have a 140gall freshwater tank that has been set up and running for 9 months as listed in my signature. I have just added a 80 gall sump with a
60gall refuge built in that is going to be seen under the main tank, The temp
will be 24'C, Ph 7 . I am thinking of adding a few Shrimp to hopefully build a
nice colony.

Questions are: which shrimp to get, do they breed in freshwater and will they be OK with 10 Cherry barbs and 2 peacock Gobi ?

Strider199
12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
You say you have some peacock gobies in that tank? Here is what it says about their diet on this site.

Quote;
Peacock cichlids, especially wild caught ones, are not very fond of dry foods such as flakes and pellets. You can train them to accept it, but keeping them on a strict dry-food diet is certainly not recommended. In the wild, they feed chiefly on insects, insect larvae and small crustaceans and they will therefore prefer a similar diet in the aquarium. They love brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, bloodworms and similar foods.

Shrimp are small crustaceans. I'm thinking your tank would work with some cherry red shrimp (which breed well in tanks given java moss), if you re-home the peacock gobies.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different type of peacock goby.
But if considering small shrimp which breed well in aquariums, Cherries would be my pick.

scotchbonneteater
12-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Ahh didn't do enough research again (blush) I will have to move the gobies back to the main thumbs2: Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Its a peacock gudgeon not a cichlid, but diet still says Will usually accept dried food but much prefers small live and frozen stuff, such as bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp etc.

Strider199
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I've never even heard of a peacock gobi, man are they a nice coloured speciman. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Thanks for the eye opener scotchbonneteater. :22:

talldutchie
12-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Cherry shrimp would probably be at home in the sump.

nosebleed
02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Having shrimps in your tank will limit the type of fish you can have because a lot of fish will attack it. As someone mention earlier RCS are the easiest to take care of.

richberstler
02-06-2013, 01:26 AM
for sure think of fish that can't fit those RCS in their mouth easily. Babies will get eaten, but survival of the fittest will leave some of them around. Anything that can eat adults is a bad choice even it adults can hide too