PDA

View Full Version : firemouths

sixtyfivepontiac
10-10-2007, 12:42 AM
hey, i got 2 firemouths about a week ago..they are in a 20 gallon tank, and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 in. long.yesturday they bigger one(he is only alttle bit bigger) started bullying the other one.its fins are all chewed and i see it being chased around the tank.i have a 3 inch wood shrimp in there too he doesnt get bothered at all..but i seperated them..the smaller one is in a little green container that hangs into the tank with slots for the water to be circulated through.i dont want to keep him in there..i was thinking of putting him in my 30 high with my 2 silver dollars and my 2 inch jack dempsey..yea the tank is alittle empty..big tragedy happend with the heater it broke, didnt shut off when it was supposed too and cooked my 6 other fish besides the silver dollars.(98 + degrees) :( . i just got 2 dempseys about the same time as the firemouths..one died today.so would he be ok in the tank with them?i dont see why not, more then enough room to hide..sorry for the long post

~Erik3.8.07~
10-10-2007, 01:15 AM
your gonna need a lot bigger tank when your fish grow, the jack dempsey will reach almost a foot and the firemouth can get to about 7 inches, your gonna need at least a 55 gallon tank, much better if at least a 75

Nick89
10-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Usually the jack dempsey gets around 8-10 inches or so from my understanding. So, since the firemouths (again from my understanding i could be wrong) get to around 6-7'' max, you could have the 3 in a 55 gallon tank. But again im not sure of the aggression levels. Might want to go with the 75 just incase though.

TowBoater
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I personally have 1 green Severum, 1 Jack, and 2 firemouths in a 55g right now. I would say you need to get a bigger tank or get rid of the fish.