PDA

View Full Version : Slight Swelling Under Eye?

Munko
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Hello Again,

I have come to borrow everyone's knowledge once again.

I am not sure if I never noticed this before, or it's something new, but my dwarf gourami seems to be slightly swollen under one eye. It is almost like there is a small ridge of flesh there. His swimming is fine, behaviour as it always has been, and his eating is normal.

Can anyone advise on if this is/what may be the problem?

I really hope that he is ok, as it would make me very sad to lose him - he is incredibly pretty and I have grown quite fond of the gouramis.

Thanks very much.

cocoa_pleco
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
its popeye.

it occurs from 2 causes- either a bump on something, or poor water. 1 eye is usually damage, 2 is poor water conditions.

salt is known to help, but if you keep the water clean it should take care of itself. my pacu knocked himself last week and had popeye, and i kept his water clean and its gone.

if he loses the eye, its not a big deal. the fish can still see, but its depth perception is whack. once the fluid buildup from the popeye gets too big, the eye just falls out

good luck!

Munko
10-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I feel like a totally evil person because I made one or two mistakes with this relatively new tank, so it could be nitrites - I am waiting for the end of a cycle. Alternately, the flame beats up on him *all* the time, and so it could well be a war wound. I am moving him to a tank where the water parameters are perfect. I have been told salt for sure, but also pimafix.

Will pimafix help popeye?

Many thanks.

cocoa_pleco
10-10-2007, 03:39 AM
pimafix should help, but if you get some melafix to mix with the pimafix thats even better

Munko
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Great, thanks - I do have both.

Two last questions:

Should I mix the dosage half/half or put one full dosage of each in the tank?

Also, I have an eclipse filtration system so the carbon is integrated. Should I pull the integrated filter and leave it with just the biowheel? I get really nervous doing that as I don't want my nitrites to rocket, but I will trust everyone's expertise ............

cocoa_pleco
10-10-2007, 02:09 PM
you have to ditch the carbon, else the meds are pointless. do you have a spare small tank (at least 5 gallons) that you could treat the fish in, like a hospital tank?

and with the pimafix and melafix, do a full dosage of both into the tank

Munko
10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Here my irresponsible colours show again *bowing head in shame*. All I have is smaller hospital tanks (like 2gal) as before the dwarfs all I kept was tetras.

The only other home I had for the dwarf where he could live in clean water is in my immaculate 20g tetra tank which is currently understocked. I added him last night, along with a small amount of salt, some cycle, and a dosage of melafix. Apparently (I am not at home, but my partner has told me) the pouch under his eye is gone! I want to make sure that it is gone for good, so I imagine it would be responsible of me to continue with meds of some sort, but again I am unsure on how to proceed with the eclipse integrated carbon.....

Thanks very much for this help and wisdom Cocoa Pleco, I really appreciate it.

cocoa_pleco
10-12-2007, 03:12 AM
sorry, i was out of town until now.

yep, continue with meds for about 4 more days until its for sure gone.

glad hes better!