PDA

View Full Version : My gourami croaked!!!

ruecole
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I heard him for the first time this morning! He was chasing off the female from the nest again and this time he croaked! It sounded more like clicking than croaking. Kind of a crick-crick-crick-crick really fast. So cool!

I love these little fishies!!! :luxlove:

Rue

CAF
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
LOL I wonder how many people are thinking oh, poor Rue her fish died....

They do sound really cool when they do that...

ruecole
10-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Hahaha! Yeah, I thought of that after I posted! :hmm3grin2orange:

I've been waiting ever since I got them to hear them croak, so I was pretty excited to finally hear it this morning! Cool stuff!

Rue

zackish
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I have never heard of a fish or gouramis croaking.....
Was it a noise at the surface it made or was it swimming in the middle of the tank?

ruecole
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
He was underwater, near the bottom, when he made the sound.

There are two species of gouramis that croak: The croaking gourami and the sparkling gourami. (I have the latter.)

I'm not entirely sure how they make the noise, but I wouldn't be surprised it has something to do with their labyrinth organ.

Rue

Futureboy
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
i thought it died... ive never heard of them croaking either? is it a good thing?

country_boy454
10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Congrats on the "croaking" gourami! First time i have heard of fish doing this. Very cool though.

ruecole
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Yep, totally normal. They do it when they're establishing territories with other males, displaying for females they want to breed with and , in this case, trying to scare them away from their bubble nest. :hmm3grin2orange:

Each time he's done it, he's flared just before croaking.

Rue