PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine's brother breeds africans and I can probably get a WAY better deal then the LFS. Here's the thing. I was told that plecos should not live with africans because of the ph levels. but this guy has convicts and africans and a pleco in ONE tank. Wouldn't this mean their ph levels wouldn't correct? This being said if I did get some fish from this guy would they die from the shock of being switched to my ph level...which is what they are supposed to have 7.7-8.2?

Fishguy2727
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Africans are very hardy, as are plecos. This leads to a hard to see line between satisfactory, good, and thriving. This is why so many will tell you they don't need the exact natural pH while just as many others will tell you they do.
What pH is he breeding them in?

If they are mbunas than they are highly herbivorous and love algae, so a pleco would not be needed or even desired.
What type of cichlids are they?

sergo
10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
what kind of pleco do you have? i have a pair of clown plecos in my 55 and they just stay attached to my driftwood and they don't do algae.
fish can get accustomed to almost any water but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best for them. although mbuna and plecos are very hardy like fishguy said so you may be able to find a happy medium for them all.

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Yellow lab’s and Peach and Peacock & Ice blue’s
Would these be o.k. in my tank? I'd like to keep proper ph levels to be safe.
About the pleco I can get a picture and maybe you guys can help with the breed and if he can go in the tank

I have two plecos in my ten gallon right now, feeding lots of discs but I can't part with theM!

CAF
10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Yellow lab’s and Peach and Peacock & Ice blue’s
Would these be o.k. in my tank? I'd like to keep proper ph levels to be safe.
About the pleco I can get a picture and maybe you guys can help with the breed and if he can go in the tank

I have two plecos in my ten gallon right now, feeding lots of discs but I can't part with theM!

First off what size are going to be placing the cichlids in? A 10g isn't large enough. As far as species I have a mixed tank of cichlids, South American and Malawi with a common pleco in a pH of 7.8. Everything in there breeds and is happy...

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
So we should try the pleco and see?
I am going to get a ph kit that measures high ph within the next couple days so I can give you a more accurate number.

Also they will be going into a 30 gallon aquarium and he said that they use natural filters..no chemicals, so I can't imagine the ph is very high, maybe 7 at max

CAF
10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
So we should try the pleco and see?
I am going to get a ph kit that measures high ph within the next couple days so I can give you a more accurate number.

Also they will be going into a 30 gallon aquarium and he said that they use natural filters..no chemicals, so I can't imagine the ph is very high, maybe 7 at max

I use natural filters, but my water comes out of the tap at 7.8 to 8.0

You have to remember pH of tap water is going to vary from location to location. Getting a test kit is always recommended. However, why don't you just ask what pH the fish are kept at currently? it may be higher than you think.

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Are those fish even from lake malawi?

Fishguy2727
10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
They are but I would not mix the mbunas and peacocks, mbunas are too aggressive.

I still think the mbunas will be a decent algae eater and need the algae to graze on throughout the day, the pleco would remove that benefit.

What exactly do you guys mean by natural filters?

zackish
10-09-2007, 03:30 PM
They are native to lake malawi but obviously not directly from there as your friend is breeding them...
What exactly are natural filters?

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
no charcoal or chemicals in the filter..

I haev never heard of doing it that way either

so if we get some no peacocks? And will the fish pick the algea off the glass?

CAF
10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
What exactly do you guys mean by natural filters?

Plants.... or at least that is what I mean... LOL

All of my tanks are planted. I just try to keep hardier species in with my cichlids as they eat everything else. I do have some sponge filters as well for bacteria, but I am not trying to use them for mechanical filtration unless they are in a fry tank.

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
What falls under the catagory Mbuna?

zackish
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Plants.... or at least that is what I mean... LOL

All of my tanks are planted. I just try to keep hardier species in with my cichlids as they eat everything else. I do have some sponge filters as well for bacteria, but I am not trying to use them for mechanical filtration unless they are in a fry tank.

If I remember correctly you use EI for dosing? Do you still do 50% WC every week?

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
What's EI? And are you supposed to do 50 water changes once a week in a normal tank

Fishguy2727
10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Minimum water changes are dictated mainly by nitrate levels. They should be under 40 ppm, ideally under 20ppm.

Mbuna are the rock-dwelling algivores in the high current rocky near shore areas in Lake Malawi. It is a lot of species and within them are varying levels of aggression. Most people are thinking of mbunas when they think of Africna cichlids.

CAF
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
If I remember correctly you use EI for dosing? Do you still do 50% WC every week?
Depends on the tank... if it is one I do EI on then yes. I do not dose my cichlid tanks with ferts. I do 25% to 50% based on test results every week on them.

CAF
10-09-2007, 05:53 PM
What's EI? And are you supposed to do 50 water changes once a week in a normal tank
EI Estamative Index. It is a method used to fertilize aquatic plants.

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
What is the difference between nitrite and nitrate?

I am getting a hagen mini master test which tests high and low ph and ammonia and nitrite levels but not Nitrate

Fish Newbie
10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
So in picking up new fish what species should I get to go with the ones I have ( pic posted earlier) and if someone could identify my fish that would be helpful!

Fish Newbie
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
if someone could identify my fish that would be helpful!
I posted a link of pictures at first of this thread

CAF
10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
What is the difference between nitrite and nitrate?
One atom.... LOL
NO2 and NO3
both are bad for fish although nitrite a bit worse...

I am getting a hagen mini master test which tests high and low ph and ammonia and nitrite levels but not Nitrate
Get a nitrate test kit as well. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

CAF
10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
if someone could identify my fish that would be helpful!
I posted a link of pictures at first of this thread

Hmmm.. ::looks around:: Where?

Fish Newbie
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Sorry my bad, another post I posted pics :)

Here they are
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/OpalsLove/

Nitrate, got it, will have to pick one up!

CAF
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry my bad, another post I posted pics :)

Here they are
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/OpalsLove/

Nitrate, got it, will have to pick one up!

The pics are nice looking.

Unfortunately I am not really up to speed on African Rift Lake Cichlids (as they tend to demolish my planted tanks). But from the appearances you have cichlids from Lake Malawi. I believe the yellowish red one to be a Red Zebra but I am not sure... Hopefully one of our resident Cichlidiots (a term of endearment I tell you!!!!) will be able to help you further...