PDA

View Full Version : Foam backgrounds

Futureboy
10-09-2007, 05:51 AM
So while i was pondering the 100g the other day i decided id like to try a 3D foam background in it

so i thought i should have a go at one on a smaller scale so far this is my progress

ive also put in alittle 90 degree bit of pvc to make alittle cave in it

im just wondering if there is a certain type of cement i should be using to cover the whole thing?

have any of you guys ever tried this?

heres some pictures so far

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Spyder did a nice background in one of his tanks.

I've read a bunch about it and wanting to try it someday myself. By cement, they mean Quikcrete. Some might call it hobby cement. Generally make a thin mixture, and put it on with a paint brush getting it in every grove. Then after drying well (at least a couple days) two or even 3 heavier layers of the Quickcrete with whatever colored dye you wanted to add to the last one or two coats. Gob it on with your hands forming whatever you want.

It must dry very, very well between each and every coat or will crack. Some use a spray bottle of water and spray it every couple of hours so it will dry from the inside out. You don't want it drying fast so don't dry it outside in the sun or wind.

Wear gloves as the cement will tear your hands up. The cement method is really cool as you don't have to do all that detailing cutting the foam. You form nooks and crannies out of the cement using your hands or whatever you can find around the house to give it the look you want.

You want the foam a bit smaller than your tank so you can get a brush in to get to the sides. You don't want white showing when you view it from the sides so leave yourself a bit of room there.

Often a water softening salt is added to the water when first filled up to cure it for several days with many water changes in clear water afterwards. I've read like 40 pounds of water softening salt to about 55 gallons. The cement raises the pH so this salt helps to cure the cement.

Spyder didn't use the salt. He just used regular water and let it set up for several days and changed it often until the pH dropped.

His thread and pictures are here in this thread as well. You may want to see how his process went.

Futureboy
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks hobbs ive been reading up about it but i just wanted to know what else people have done with theres

should be good if it works out not sure what ill put in the tank when its done though..

Tjones
11-15-2007, 07:05 AM
about a month to slow on this but i made one for my 55 and its sitting in the water now but my ph is still super high :P

Dixie
11-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Hey Tjones...how bout postin a pic of it? I'd love to see it.:18:
Dixie

Tjones
11-19-2007, 09:46 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/galalade/DSC01569.jpg

there is a link to a picture the forum attach wouldn't work too big i think :/

KcEE
11-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Your tank looks damn amazing Tjones! Good job!

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/galalade/DSC01569.jpg

there is a link to a picture the forum attach wouldn't work too big i think :/

I thought you were new to fishkeeping!!!!! Man, you have done just an amazing job on the tank, the stand, the background.......everything. You are a picture of patience and how to go about doing everything right and taking your time to get things just perfect.

I have read that water softening salt helps cure the cement and bring the pH down faster. A lot of it.......like a whole 40 pound bag. Either way, it takes a couple weeks and tons of water changes.

I need to learn patience from you. I get a tank, set it up and within 5 minutes my fish are in the tank swimming away. I get to excited!! And then......I end up hating the subtrate and changing it, hate the background and change that (20 times) hate the decorations and change all those.........LOL