PDA

View Full Version : Noob: What does a molting Red Cherry Shrimp look like?

Delphin
10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
We are working so hard to take good care of our Red Cherry Shrimp.
We love them.

We know we lost one of our original 6 early on.
We think we have 5 out of six doing well. (3 weeks later)
We believe we have at least one male and three females.
Its hard to see them all at one time.
I got a new mini maglite with red led's to look in on them at night. LOL

One female looks lke she has a white racing stripe down her back?
Shes the biggest one.

Is she molting? Is this a problem?
Do they molt from the bottom, top. front or back?

Are there any pics or video of healthy molting process?
I cant find any.
Found some great red cherry shrimp videos on YouTube, many from this forum. (Thanks)
Particularly of pregnant and berried females and babies. But we are not there yet.

Should we add a half dose of the marine iodine to help the process?
Sounds like a good idea from what Ive read.

zackish
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Usually when they molt it's quick and over. I wake up one morning and I see the shell split in half at the bottom of my tank near my enormous sword. If it has looked like this for some time it is not molting.

CAF
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM
There are actually a couple different color morphs of red cherries. One has a pinkish white racing stripe down the back, You are seeing a perfectly normal color morph. I doubt you will see them molt as they will do so after it is dark and in a place that is hidden. For the first few hours after a molt, inverts are particulary vulnerable to being eaten so they hide. If you see a whitish saddle on the back of your shrimp it is a definate indicator the shrimp is female. It is the ovaries producing eggs. The female will molt and any males will chase her around the tank try to mate with her. If you see a smaller shrimp locked swimerette to swimmerette with a larger one you are seeing the male depost sperm near where the eggs will come out before being placed on the females swimmerettes.

Delphin
10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Nice.
Thats exactly what it looks like, a pinkish white stripe down the back. Only on the one female.
Its been like that for at least a week plus.
Sounds like its a kool morph then!!!

Thanks a bunch,

CAF
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Nice.
Thats exactly what it looks like, a pinkish white stripe down the back. Only on the one female.
Its been like that for at least a week plus.
Sounds like its a kool morph then!!!

Thanks a bunch,
Not a problem!!! FW Inverts or Plants, let me know if I can help.

Delphin
10-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Bubba Gumps shrimp continued...

Last night for the first time I saw the feint yellow saddle starting to appear on the one large female! Shes as big as our neon tetras now. And I saw at least one male cruising around.

I'll search around some more, but could use any sugestions on what to do if we get fry since its in a "communnity" tank with 6 fish that will likely eat shrimp fry. LOL Ive read only a few will live long enough to get big enough to be safe if we are lucky.

I was going to get a breeder box and set it up for the fry with some filter sponge to ensure the vents are sealed and some moss and a small tube to hide in. I got a tiny shrimp net. Do you think this would work?

or maybe I'll get a seperate $20 1 gal plastic tank for them with a bubbler.
The hard part is setting it up and gettin it cycled. Maybe use some gravel and water from the main 10 gal tank.
I'd really like a 2.5 gal glass tank set up for fry and quarentine but dont think my wife will go for the expense/trouble yet, I'll work on it. Still have a few weeks to prepare.

Once we have fry they seem to grow pretty fast to a safe size in maybe a few weeks.

What do you think is best method.

Algenco
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
they will most likely be eaten before you have a chance to see them, a nice big wad of java moss might help to hide a few until they get bigger

CAF
10-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Most of my shrimp are community tanks (although my Crystal Reds are in a species only tank... far too expensive to risk being a snack for some fish) Jus make sure they have lots of hiding places. Java Moss is a great place to hide as has already been mentioned. You take a large chance that the female will drop her eggs if the water conditions are not the same to risk moving her to another tank. If you set up a species only tank though, with a few females and males, they will quickly overrun your tank, allowing you to move them to the community tank with ease. You might also be able to sell them online or at your local fish store.

Delphin
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Once again great advice. Thanks

We have a small clump of Moss I bought with the shrimp. I'm guessing its actually Java Moss, its growing well too. Sometimes I think algae gets on it though. The juvenile/adult Shrimp seem to like it too. Maybe I'll just let nature take its course.

PS Culligan man is overhauling our R/O water system right now!
Will test the new water out tonight.
I will try and slowly phase new water into my water change mixtures and routines.
Attempting to get good, healthy, consistent, stable water chemistry.
All without a degree in Chemical engineering. LOL
Once again hundreds of dollars spent to effectively support a few dollars worth of fish and shrimp. Are we all insane. This cracks me up but its such fun.

CAF
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Delphin]We have a small clump of Moss I bought with the shrimp. I'm guessing its actually Java Moss, its growing well too. Sometimes I think algae gets on it though. The juvenile/adult Shrimp seem to like it too. Maybe I'll just let nature take its course.[QUOTE]
Go ahead and try to get some more moss.

And remember the shrimp think this when they see hair algae...

OMG!!!! An all you can eat algae buffet!!!! It is just what I wanted!!! Thanks!

Dave-id
10-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I agree that you are better off setting up lots of hiding spots than trying to get an additional breeding tank running properly.

I've been fortunate enough to witness several of my shrimp molt (by "fortunate" I probably mean "obsessed"). They start by squirming around and stretching a bit, to loosen their old shell, then just jump backwards, and their old shell will be sitting right where they used to be. My tank has nothing but cherries in it, so they don't bother hiding or anything, but they do remain pretty inactive for about a day.

Also, I've read through a lot of debate on the iodine issue. It sounds like a good idea, but there is no evidence to suggest that it actually helps anything, and often times, it can actually harm the shrimp. I would advise against it personally.

CAF
10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
If you feel iodine is needed, instead of dosing the tank put in some blanched spinach.