PDA

View Full Version : plecos and currents

blu
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I have bristle nose pleco and he always sits towards the bottom under the the filter stream and he swims up the current and then slides back down. Does anyone else have a pleco that does this. I found it odd b/c he doesnt hide at all any more he has a cave but is never in it..hes always by the fiter or the driftwood that he discovered a few days ago.

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 05:50 PM
its perfectly normal. fishguy got a excellent picture of his pleco sitting on a filter chilling in the flow

CAF
10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Plecos really like current, to the point they will swin into uplift tubes of sponge filters, get stuck and die. That is why Dave Sheiltz (a pretty big name in the hobby with Plecos) invented his own sponge filters that have caps

zeon
11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
I had a pleco that would swim in the current of my HOB. He loved it. sometimes would even jump up. I learn the hard way. Well he grew up and got big. Jumped one to many times and it was at night. I went in to the room the next day to turn on the lights. He jumped up in the water stream got stuck and I guess flopped around until he got unstuck because he flopped himself out of the tank completely and onto the floor. I cried. He was just having fun. I have a cover back there now to keep that sort of thing from happening again.

Colby123
11-30-2007, 05:51 AM
I have a pleco that acts pretty strange occassionally. Sometimes he'll stay toward the top of the tanks suctioned to the wall. Normal, except he's upside down. He'll suck on the wall with his nose down and his tail out of the water. Other times I've caught him floating upside down (belly up) on the top of the water just swimming around and sucking on the surface of the water. I have two and the other one doesn't do either of these things. Has anyone out there ever seen anything like this?

zeon
12-01-2007, 04:27 AM
My other pleco Herman that I have had forever does those things. Nothing wrong with him. Oh and he loves...LOVES bubbles. I buy bubble wands just for him. He likes to hang upside down in the bubble stream. lol