PDA

View Full Version : Booya!

jttt3
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
So, I was gone all this weekend to a sci-fi, horror and gaming conference, but I wanted something out of mind while I was there, so I did a few mods the days before.

First, I dropped a 40 Watt CurrentUSA Satellite onto my 10 gallon, got rid of the freshwater lighting that came with it. Dropped in a powerhead and an aquarclear that I had lying around with floss as the filter media. The clownfish have recovered and are doing great. I'm going to leave them in there and keep the tank super simple as I get use to running saltwater.

Second, I ripped the sump out of the Aquapod, including the pump, etc. I ripped the hood off and replaced the 32watt with 2x 40watt Dual Satellite. I thought about going for a metal hallide, but decided I don't and won't have the money to support a 240watt device running 12 hours a day everyday. I dropped in a 400gph powerhead as well. I'll be dropping on another extra Aquaclear powerfilter I have lying around with some floss media to try and get the extra big particles out of the water.

Ripping the sump out was hard and scary, as the aquarium was still full of water LOL. It appears that they glued the aquarium together with the sump attached, but thankfully they just pushed it into the goop instead of installing and then gooping. I popped the top ridge which was above water level to check before I startying prying the rest free. Took about 15min to pull it completely out without disurbing my corals or bumping my live rock.

So, all is good, corals are doing great, light is much brighter and tank is finally down to 78F and my heater actually turns on occasionally. I think this will be a much easier way of working with it. I'll post some pics after I've made a few more modifications and rearranged the remaining live rock.

I've still got that piece of live rock with glass anenomes (Aiptasia) all over it, I'm not sure what to do about it. I think I might have to kill everything on the rock then drop it into a tank with other live rock and let it all start from scratch.

Any ideas on either A. How to get rid of the anenomes (Aiptasia) or B. killing the live rock so that they anenomes (Aiptasia) won't come back from it? These buggers are hard to kill, unlike their larger cousins.

Thanks!

squirt_12
10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
congrats on everything....yeah you will have to def. post some pics.

CAF
10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
So, I was gone all this weekend to a sci-fi, horror and gaming conference, but I wanted something out of mind while I was there, so I did a few mods the days before.

First, I dropped a 40 Watt CurrentUSA Satellite onto my 10 gallon, got rid of the freshwater lighting that came with it. Dropped in a powerhead and an aquarclear that I had lying around with floss as the filter media. The clownfish have recovered and are doing great. I'm going to leave them in there and keep the tank super simple as I get use to running saltwater.

Second, I ripped the sump out of the Aquapod, including the pump, etc. I ripped the hood off and replaced the 32watt with 2x 40watt Dual Satellite. I thought about going for a metal hallide, but decided I don't and won't have the money to support a 240watt device running 12 hours a day everyday. I dropped in a 400gph powerhead as well. I'll be dropping on another extra Aquaclear powerfilter I have lying around with some floss media to try and get the extra big particles out of the water.

Ripping the sump out was hard and scary, as the aquarium was still full of water LOL. It appears that they glued the aquarium together with the sump attached, but thankfully they just pushed it into the goop instead of installing and then gooping. I popped the top ridge which was above water level to check before I startying prying the rest free. Took about 15min to pull it completely out without disurbing my corals or bumping my live rock.

So, all is good, corals are doing great, light is much brighter and tank is finally down to 78F and my heater actually turns on occasionally. I think this will be a much easier way of working with it. I'll post some pics after I've made a few more modifications and rearranged the remaining live rock.

I've still got that piece of live rock with glass anenomes (Aiptasia) all over it, I'm not sure what to do about it. I think I might have to kill everything on the rock then drop it into a tank with other live rock and let it all start from scratch.

Any ideas on either A. How to get rid of the anenomes (Aiptasia) or B. killing the live rock so that they anenomes (Aiptasia) won't come back from it? These buggers are hard to kill, unlike their larger cousins.

Thanks!

I just got a new peice of LR myself that had some of the buggers on it. I took a bamboo skewer and kept stabbing until they were mush... They haven't come back yet...

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
congrats, seems things are going better!

for the aiptasia, you can add a peppermint shrimp

jttt3
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I just got a new peice of LR myself that had some of the buggers on it. I took a bamboo skewer and kept stabbing until they were mush... They haven't come back yet...

I'm a little affraid to do that as they are kinda like trolls I heard. You chop off a piece and it lands and can become a whole new animal, but sounds fairly fun lol.

I've already issolated the rock, I'm thinking about using Calcium hydroxide and just dose each bugger several times and then rinse it really well, put it in a 10g tank with the extra powerhead I have and see if they come back and just keep chemically stabbing them until they die.

coachfraley
10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
The only remedies I have heard of are Joe's Juice (that is injected directly into the mouth of the anemone), and scouring the rock completely clean.

How much rock are we talking about??? If it is just a pound or so, and there is no coral stuck to it, I would just replace it completely.

squirt_12
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
could you post a pic. of what this anemone (SP?) looks lke??? i would really like to see what it looks likes. lol.

CAF
10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
could you post a pic. of what this anemone (SP?) looks lke??? i would really like to see what it looks likes. lol.
Not from my tank.... but here you go.

http://fins.actwin.com/pics/Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Not from my tank.... but here you go.

http://fins.actwin.com/pics/Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

i HATE those things, i want to blow up every last one of them.

im lucky that so far i have spotted not 1 in my 55g

squirt_12
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
i HATE those things, i want to blow up every last one of them.

im lucky that so far i have spotted not 1 in my 55g
why???? they look so cool.....lol....i think that i would want one in my SW tank if i had a SW tank. lol.

Or are they like a pest??

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 07:36 PM
aiptasia are the biggest pain in the @$$ in the world. they multiply like crazy, and sting corals

coachfraley
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
aiptasia are the biggest pain in the @$$ in the world. they multiply like crazy, and sting corals

+1

If they were really pretty, people might like them more:c5:, but I think most people find them pretty unattractive in comparison to coral.

The majano anemone is also considered a pest because it can take over your tank. The big difference is that the majano is a looker:

http://archiv.korallenriff.de/einsteiger_manjano04.jpg

http://www.nanoreef.it/immagini/schede/invertebrati/mejano.jpg

squirt_12
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
+1

If they were really pretty, people might like them more:c5:, but I think most people find them pretty unattractive in comparison to coral.

The majano anemone is also considered a pest because it can take over your tank. The big difference is that the majano is a looker:

http://archiv.korallenriff.de/einsteiger_manjano04.jpg

http://www.nanoreef.it/immagini/schede/invertebrati/mejano.jpg
Now that one is really nice......yeah i figured that it would be a big pest for you not to like it.....well yeah i get you point of why you don't like it...but the ones coach put up there i would actually want in my tank. lol

i just learned something new today. lol.

Rue
10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
...dont' mush them up...they'll come back 100 fold to haunt you and to take over the world...

...if you only have a few...try a peppermint shrimp...my guy finally ate my aiptasia (er, or so I hope)...

CAF
10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
...dont' mush them up...they'll come back 100 fold to haunt you and to take over the world...

...if you only have a few...try a peppermint shrimp...my guy finally ate my aiptasia (er, or so I hope)...

Well no trolls have popped out and begun regenerating on me yet. Maybe a little fire would do the trick... ::breaks out flamethrower just in case::

I'll let you know if they pop back up on me. A peppermint shrimp was on the list to get soon anyway...

jttt3
10-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I heard the peppermint shrimp are hit and miss, and I tried them, but they missed, wouldn't touch the things. I'll try again though and see. It's $4 per shrimp, and I could just toss the LR and buy a new piece for less lol.

I'll let you know what I try and how it works out.