PDA

View Full Version : high light corals

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 01:16 AM
wednesday im able to actually get a bulb for the 400W MH fixture on the 55g, so by then it should be running. with it i would have a near high light tank, and im looking for some large high light soft corals with bubbly arms. any suggestions?

EDIT- and the fixtures are safe for a standard home right?

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Edmonton/Electrical/153/65348531/COOPER_400W_METAL_HALIDE_HighBay.aspx

jttt3
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
It looks like its using 120 volts, so should be ok. Just watch your heat and provide adequate cooling for everything. At 400 watts, that's a lot of heat, don't be suprised if your room temps go up. Keep all wiring, etc from touching the lamp, reflector, fixtures, etc as anything too close could melt. I would run it hung in your garage if you have one to see how hot it gets before dropping into an application. It's best to know exactly how something is going to work before you install it.

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
thanks for the info!

since its not a direct aquarium manufacturer MH i was scared that it would only be for factory use etc.

for sure i'll keep all cords off of the actual system to prevent cord melting, and good idea on running it in the garage, i'll try it

jttt3
10-08-2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, make sure no one does the "touch test" to see how hot it is, could result in a very nasty burn if its as hot as I think it might get.

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2007, 05:12 PM
all of my tanks are in the basement and im the only one ever down there so no stupid people should run by and try the heat test. lol

cocoa_pleco
10-09-2007, 03:11 AM
i dont want to overload the houses power, and on the 55g right now i have 2 40W fixtures, and 2 30W. once i get the MH going im scraping the fluorescents, so how much more power would the MH use than the 4 fluorescents about?

jttt3
10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Depends on the fixture. Watts is not your concern really when it comes to that, you are interested in AMPs.

Check the AMPs on any label your MH uses, then check the labels for the flourescents and check how many AMPS they use.

If its within 1-2 amps, you should be ok. If you exceed how many amps you can draw on a circuit, your breaker will trip. You probably won't blow anything up, but I definately would use a couple different sockets at different part of the walls because I have had them burn out due to overload and bad/old wiring. That was when I was pulling around 15 amps through that one set of sockets though. lol Not advised unless your house was built post 1996 lol!

cocoa_pleco
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
lol, my house was built in '79.

thanks for the info!