PDA

View Full Version : Body fungus on new Betta

zaphekiel
12-01-2012, 11:03 PM
This may end up being a longer post, but I am a bit frustrated and upset at well. I have a 6 gal filtered tank and it has completely cycled. Just checked the parameters with the API Master Freshwater kit this evening and the values are 0/0/5. Tank temp is 76-78. I have had an Oto for just over a month now and am currently on my 3rd betta fish... The first two got a horrible case of body fungus within 24-48hrs after being in the tank. The first one passed but I was able to bring the second back and exchange for a new fish. I don't mind treating a fish, but getting that sick within 2 days is a little crazy and I don't want to spend $$ on a brand new fish... maybe that's wrong thinking... but still a newbie...

I got Melafix which was recommended to me by a co-worker (she's the aquarist at my job) and I have been dosing my tank since I introduced my 3rd and current betta every morning per the directions. He was a bit lethargic this morning and when I got home from work I looked and sure enough he has body fungus, it's not as bad as the last two.. but I am just so frustrated... how come my oto, which is supposed to be super sensitive to water quality and blah blah is fat, super active and healthy.. and yet the bettas have all gotten ill...

Should I keep dosing the water and hope he gets better? Or I feel like giving up.. I have gotten the bettas from 2 different stores, hoping it was the store, but what else could I have done? All the plants in the tank are real so it wouldn't be an injury caused infection... I suppose their immune systems are not very strong...

Sorry for the rant.. just upset and really like this fish, and now I am pretty bummed out. Thanks for the input.

Tiari
12-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Mela-fix is a pretty bad treatment, especially for a Betta. Discontinue its use. It forms an oil slick on the surface, making it difficult for the Betta to breathe. Because of the Oto, you can't use salt, which would have been my first suggestion.

The tank is too cold. The temp for a Betta should be 82 constant. Lower temps can spur illnesses.

Keep the water at temp, and do water changes every other day to keep the water super clean. It could be, if you are getting your Betta from the same store, their stock is less than optimal, and maybe already infected with fungus before they are placed in their cups. There are many fungus medications on the market geared specifically for the ailment, you will have to check the labels of them to find out what would also be safe for your Oto.

I used to house Oto's with my Betta, but removed them, after I realized the fresh food placed in the tank for them seemed to be causing dissolved organics in the water, and causing fin rot.