PDA

View Full Version : Raising pH and hardness for snails

gm72
10-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I have started a 10 gallon snail-only tank to raise food for my clown loaches. I need to raise the pH and want to make sure there is plenty of hardness for them. I am considering using crushed coral as the media in the HOB. My question: is there a significant difference between Carribean and Florida versions? I have attached links FYI for clarification:

Florida:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/crushedcoral1.html

Carribean:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/cacrco40.html

Dave66
10-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Most snails do dandy at normal pH and hardness, gm. All you need is enough vegetation for them to eat.

Dave

CAF
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM
If you really want to increase the Calcium levels you can use crushed coral (as far as know any type) or shells. I use calcium carbonate when making my invert biscuits, cause shrimp and snails need more calcium.

Rue
10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
My adult snails are sufferering from shell erosion, despite a good diet and addition of liquid calcium (and large weekly water changes)...

I have to up my dose of calcium...I'm not sure to what levels though...

CAF
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
My adult snails are sufferering from shell erosion, despite a good diet and addition of liquid calcium (and large weekly water changes)...

I have to up my dose of calcium...I'm not sure to what levels though...
What pH? Acidic pH will cause the errosion of invert shells regardless of the amount of calcium in the tank...

Rue
10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
...last I checked it was around 7.5...

CAF
10-05-2007, 10:25 PM
hmm... you are sure it lack of calcium and not quick grow bands you are seeing? Snails if they grow rapidally will exhibit white bands that show the quick growth... Still not good for the snails, but the symptom is from another cause.

gm72
10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
My pH is around 6.5 or so, and I believe some of my other snails are showing signs of shell erosion, hence my concern.

Algenco
10-06-2007, 02:19 AM
what about a handful of limestone gravel? Cheap:c5:

gm72
10-06-2007, 02:23 AM
Cheap, yes, but is it able to accomplish the job as well as would crushed coral?

Rue
10-06-2007, 02:47 PM
...no...mine's shell erosion...

...I was told by a person who raises snails to add the liquid calcium...just have to figure out how much and how often...

gm72
10-06-2007, 02:57 PM
What is your hardness, Rue? I wonder if that is where we need to look next?

Rue
10-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Now that' s a good question! I'll have to check! Can't for the life of me remember...

gm72
10-06-2007, 03:34 PM
We'll figure this out. You know that I think we are the only two on AC who have snail-only tanks. I don't know whether to be happy or disgusted because yes, I am that big of a dork.

CAF
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
We'll figure this out. You know that I think we are the only two on AC who have snail-only tanks. I don't know whether to be happy or disgusted because yes, I am that big of a dork.
LOL you can add me to the list...

gm72
10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
...the list of being a dork or having a snail-only tank? Or both? :laugh1blue:

Algenco
10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
limestone is calcium carbonate

msjinkzd
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I also have a snail only tank....Instead of adjusting my water, I feed calcium rich foods. I make my own snail jello with calcium powder in it and baby food with 4-8% calcium. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

snail jello

1 jar baby food (veggie or fruit, calcium content of at least 4%)
1 packet knox unflavored gelatin
1 tsp crushed fish flakes/pellets
1 tsp calcium powder without phosphorus(jurassi-cal reptile powder is easy to find)

microwave baby food until very hot, stir in gelation, mashing lumps with back of spoon. mix in flake and calcium powder. pour into shallow bowl or plate and chill until firm. cut into feeding size pieces and freeze for up to a month.

CAF
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
...the list of being a dork or having a snail-only tank? Or both? :laugh1blue:
Both!!!!

You can also add baking soda.... it will raise the kH and pH of the tank.

Azear
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey ! *raise hand* add me to the list of peeps who have/has a snail-only tank ! I had a tank with tons of apple snails but they sadly had problem with shell erosion... and didn't had time much to manage with this so I lost most of them... *sad days*... hence, now, I still have 2-3 left which have bad shell erosion problem but I don't monitor that tank as much as my 50Gal...

Dave-id
10-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I also have a snail only tank....Instead of adjusting my water, I feed calcium rich foods. I make my own snail jello with calcium powder in it and baby food with 4-8% calcium. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

snail jello

1 jar baby food (veggie or fruit, calcium content of at least 4%)
1 packet knox unflavored gelatin
1 tsp crushed fish flakes/pellets
1 tsp calcium powder without phosphorus(jurassi-cal reptile powder is easy to find)

microwave baby food until very hot, stir in gelation, mashing lumps with back of spoon. mix in flake and calcium powder. pour into shallow bowl or plate and chill until firm. cut into feeding size pieces and freeze for up to a month.

That sounds like a great recipe!

msjinkzd
10-30-2007, 01:18 AM
thanks, got it from the girl i bought my snails from....i drop a piece in and in minutes all of them are swarming it, dog-piling to get to it..its great and their shells look amazing.

gm72
10-30-2007, 01:23 AM
AWESOME information! Thank you ever so much!