PDA

View Full Version : Low pH

Adimondinthesky
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi,
I hope I am in the right thread! I check my pH everyday and it is always 7.8. I have been adding Proper pH 8.2 and it works for the day and then it is right back to 7.8. I hate to keep adding it everyday.
I have a 12 gallon Eclipse saltwater tank. SG-1.023 0 amonia, nitrite nitrates NO3-20 Total alk KH is 300. This tank is about 2 months old, 1 snail and 1 scooter blenny with live rock and live sand. 1 powerhead. I do weekly 3-5 gallon water changes with R/O water. What can I do to get it higher and stay that way?
Thanks!

CAF
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
What is your salinity? You stated you are doing water changes and adding RO, is this straight RO or salt mixed? Do you have any crushed coral or seashells in your substrate or is it just live sand?

Adimondinthesky
10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Yes, I use R/O water mixed with Oceanic Natural Sea Salt. My salinity is 30.5 I have sand mixed with shells. It's the aragonite substrate.

CAF
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes, I use R/O water mixed with Oceanic Natural Sea Salt. My salinity is 30.5 I have sand mixed with shells. It's the aragonite substrate.
What method are you using to measure your salinity. I use hydrometers and it should be around 1.021...

If I had to venture a guess ,there is something pulling the KH and lowering the pH as a result. Try adding more crushed coral and/or shells to your mix. You can also get powdered suppliments that will add to the KH for Saltwater.

Adimondinthesky
10-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I use a hydrometer...isn't my KH already too high at 300? What is the name of some of the powders I should use?

CAF
10-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I use a hydrometer...isn't my KH already too high at 300? What is the name of some of the powders I should use?
Sorry... I am at work and am reading these on the sly.... I see all the stats in your first post (and comprehend them...)

here is a beginners guide to saltwater, taken from here:
http://www.vividaquariums.com/bparams.asp

Temperature: between 75° and 83° F and constant - Should not move more than two degrees in one day

Ammonia: 0 ppm - Toxic to livestock if not 0

Nitrite: 0 ppm - Toxic to livestock if not 0

Nitrate: 0.0-30 ppm - Can be toxic to livestock if too high

pH: between 8.1 and 8.4 - 8.2 is ideal

Alkaline: between 8 and 12 dKH

Specific Gravity: between 1.020-1.022 for fish-only aquariums and 1.023-1.025 for reef aquariums

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 425-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1,300 ppm

Iodine: 0.06 ppm

Strontium: 5-15 ppm

Live Rock: 1-1.5 lbs per gallon

Water Flow: Pumps should turn over the volume of the aquarium 10-15 times per hour

Not much more I can do to help beyond that. I have SW tanks, and they are doing fine, but I am still learning SW. I am primarily a FW planted type of guy...

Adimondinthesky
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Me too...I am new to saltwater and I have decided I want a bigger tank with some good lighting, so I am going to turn this one into a quarantine tank and I have a Red Sea Max on the way. Everything is fine with the fish, but it just irks me that I can't get the pH to stay where I want it.
I have had freshwater tanks for a long time, I have 5 blood parrot fish that are so much fun, and they are so happy and healthy that I just decided I might try my luck at saltwater. It's been fun so far!
Thanks for your help!

CAF
10-05-2007, 08:14 PM
We have a few reefers here on the forum, maybe ONE of them will come along and try to help you out... Good luck!