PDA

View Full Version : A question of brackish compatability.....

McFly
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
i currently have in a 50 gallon (U.S.) tank, one striped rafeal catfish (5"), a red-belly pacu (4-5") and a electric yellow lab (3"). I was wondering if i added a freshwater Snow-Flake Eel, would one tablespoon per five gallons of aquarium salt kill any of the fish? I know that a freshwater Snow-Flake can inhabit sole freshwater but most sites and people I have talk to express they need for a little salt. Just wondering.....Thanks for your time.

William
06-24-2006, 05:19 AM
some salt is as you say a good idea but im not sure how the catfish would react to the salt. The pacu prefer water without salt but would likely be okey with the low salinity you plan to keep. The lab can handle it.

DemonShark
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
electric yellow lab is that some sort of eel?

William
06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
no. its a cichlid from lake malawi

DemonShark
06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
o intreasting Ill ahve to look in on them!

tyler
08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
will snowflakes and clown loaches co exsist

stubbytheplecostomus
08-28-2006, 03:08 AM
the "snowflake" eel (the type you are talking about, there is another snowflake eel in the moray family and i have heard people call spiney eels snowflakes as well) are not freshwater eels they just travel to fresh water streams to spawn. the snowflake eel can survive in an all freshwater enviroment but just like all brackish fish they are used to changes in salinity and living in freshwater could shorten its life, i would say the closest to ocean conditions you can get without harming the other fish the better.