PDA

View Full Version : HELPPPPPPPP bio wheel not moveing

smokeypea
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I have 20 gal tank with penguin pwer filter and wheel, since yesterday the wheel hasnt moved, i had put in a new filter, which i swished round in old tank water first, i have moeved the filter a few times to make sure wheel is not stuck, the bearings are free and clean, the intake tube is down as far as it should be, i did take the wheel out and swish it round in old tank water yesterday cos it has so much slimy gunk in it but its back where it should be now,, when i move it my hand it does turn but not on its own : the water is being pumped into the tnak and it seems ok, except for the wheel, i know its got to be wet sometimes so i have been moving it round every few hours, anyopne any ideas? i nee some help, also, my readings are PH 7.0 ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 nitrate 10... am i cleaning too much or not enough? everytime i change water i clean gravel?? thanks for any help..

kimmers318
06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I had that problem with my new penguin bio wheel 100 filter....I just kept adjusting the bio wheel until it worked. It turned out the bio wheel was just a little bent out of shape, not noticeable when you looked at it, but I grasped it at both ends a couple of times and twisted each end in opposite directions just a little until it started turning properly. It may have just gotten bent out of shape a little and needs tweaked. Hope that helps.
Also, is this a new tank? Are you still cycling? You really shouldn't have ammonia or nitrite readings. If it isn't a new tank you appear to be experiencing another cycle. If it is new, what fish do you have in there? Most fish don't care for any ammonia or nitrites, so you may need to watch closely and keep up water changes once you get the biowheel working again until you are safe.

smokeypea
06-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for advice, i am going to check to see if anything is bent on wheel, i have had the tanks since 28th april, i change the water 20% about every 2 days, and check the filter is ok, its been gunky so i cleaned it out with old tank water, then yesterday i chnaged it cos the water was cloudy, i am sure i have too many fish in tank, , next month i am getting a 55 gallon tank though, i have a silver dollar, 2 bala charks which i didnt know would grow huge, 4 platys, 2 algea eaters, a 2 tetras, and a red tailed shark, i also use Amquel pluss each water change as i was told to do at lfs, also water conditioer, and i clean the gravel everytime i change water, i am worried if i dont change water so often the ammonia and things will build up even more, i am sure i am doing something wrong,, just dont know what, thanks for any help.

smokeypea
06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I have just finished cleaning tank, and thank goondess the wheel is moving now, i cleaned the impeller and tubes, and tweaked the wheel, thanks so much for help, i know i have too many fish in tank, i ffed once and day and have been changing 20% water every other day, also vacumning the gravel, maybe i am iver cleaning, i just dont know, i got the tank 28th april, got bad advice ffrom lfs i think, the ammonia and nitrates have gone down since last time i tested, and also the nirites,it was about 2 weeks since i tested them and then again today with the reading i just put on above post. this is getting so confusing. maybe the more i clean the worse its getting?? any advice? thanks again .

NorthernBoy
06-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Was the bio wheel not moving at all or just slowly moving or studering?

smokeypea
06-23-2006, 08:58 PM
it was not moving at all, since yesterday evening, it would turn when i moved it, but not on its onw, now as i said in last post it is turning round really well, noyt sure what i did, but i hope its ok now.I know when its dirty it does slow down some, but to not move all that lenght of time was worrying. I dread next water change incase it stops again. I also stop the filter and bubble wand for just a few minutes when i feed the fish, or else the food flys round the tank before some of the fish get to eat it, hope thats ok to do.

William
06-24-2006, 05:10 AM
good to hear