PDA

View Full Version : Swollen gill...

ruecole
10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
So the one white cloud with the swollen, red gill, hasn't improved. He hasn't gotten any worse, either, and he's still active and eating, but his gill is red and swollen and sticking out. I've checked repeatedly to see if there's any worms hanging out, but don't see any. And none of the other fish seem to be affected.

What could be his problem? And how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Rue

CAF
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
It could be a congential defect or it could be a gill fluke, or any number of other things most dealing with parasites.

You could pull him out and place him in quarantine and treat him for parasites.
That way you are not dosing everyone if they are not affected. Although with parasites I generally dose the entire tank to make sure I nuke all of the little buggers.

ruecole
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks, CAF.

I don't think it's congenital, since he only started getting the red/inflamed gill a couple weeks ago. I tried treating him with Melafix (three days per the instructions on the label) and it seemed to help it a bit (it shrunk down and seemed less red), but once I put him back in the tank it went back to being as red and swollen as before.

How do I treat him for parasites?

Rue

CAF
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Being as you are in Canada, I do not know if Jungle Labs products are available or not, however they have some tank buddy products deisgned to nuke parasites.

ruecole
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks, CAF. I'll see if I can find some of that.

Then I'll probably be back with more questions... :sbiggrin:

Rue

CAF
10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks, CAF. I'll see if I can find some of that.

Then I'll probably be back with more questions... :sbiggrin:

Rue
NP thats what I'm here for. LOL