PDA

View Full Version : Fox Face dead =(

jttt3
10-04-2007, 03:17 AM
No one can tell me why. He took fine when I put him in, was cool for a couple days, then suddenly dropped dead overnight. Took the fish in, it about 48 hours, and got another as there shouldn't have been any reason for him to die, I was hesitant, and should have stuck with my gut. The next did the exact same thing but faster. I have seperated clowns into quaritine tank and am treating them to make sure they don't catch anything.

Water quality is prestine, and I have someone else test it and get the same results. He showed no signs of sickness, was moving around the tank just fine, all yellow and pretty, nipping at algea, and then woke up in the morning, and was lying on bottom of the tank, stone dead. (no, not sleeping, I can tell the difference). I didn't see any wounds or anything. I'm completely confused.

Corals are just fine, the only thing I can think of were the glass anenomes that were developing on one of the live rocks. I have since removed that live rock since it is the only place they were, but I was told that shouldn't have caused it.

I've had two losses in less than a week, true it only cost me 1 fish of money, but still, I had two poor fish die on me, and I'm so bummed, I feel soooooo bad about it. =(

I think I'm going to just wait till my 10g is ready for coral, then move the corals there and take down the 24 gallon aquapod, it has been a grave to 7 fish thus far. 5 by my own stupidity, 2 by a complete mystery that no one can tell me why.

After I had the tank perfectly balanced too....

I'm thinking about stripping it down until it is a glass cube and using it as a normal tank in my office. I seem to have a whole lot more luck with normall tanks than this nightmarish in-tank sump type setup with a closed hood.
And more than likely, I'll just drop freshwater fish in there.....

jttt3
10-04-2007, 03:20 AM
The 5 were danios for those that don't remember my PH-Up incident when I had freshwater in there

Rue
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry your fish are dying! I have no idea of what the problem could be.

CAF
10-04-2007, 07:49 PM
A lot of saltwater fish are caught with cyanide. This cause problems with their respitory tract and will cause death if given in too large of doses. Ask your LFS what method their suppliers use. If they are not captive bred or net captured, do not buy them. I'm sorry for your loss, unfortunately it is far too common.

Special-K
10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
sorry about your foxfaces :(
they are so cool too
Hope everything goes better for ya. saltwater is far too intimidating for me so i respect your effort lol

Dave66
10-04-2007, 08:16 PM
A lot of saltwater fish are caught with cyanide. This cause problems with their respitory tract and will cause death if given in too large of doses. Ask your LFS what method their suppliers use. If they are not captive bred or net captured, do not buy them. I'm sorry for your loss, unfortunately it is far too common.

Exactly, CAF. Thank goodness that collection method is falling out of favor now that MAC has stepped in.

Dave

squirt_12
10-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that...the foxfaces are so cool looking....:(

R.I.P
Foxface.

jttt3
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I try to get tank-raised as much as possible, but in this case I wasn't sure. I figured iether way he should be cool cause they are a tough fish.

I'm not sure about the cyanide catching as the LFS has a tank full of them and they are doing just peachy still. I think it was my tank really. Even if no one can tell me what is wrong and I have no clue, I'll take responsibility for this one. I just wish I could figure out what it is.... There is something wrong with it. I'm getting rid of the sand and the rear sump and going to something else, any particular brand or substrate you guys recommend for reef with corals?

BTw, anyone recommend a way to get rid of glass anenomes? All the ones I found searching on the web seem a real pain, so I wanted to get some feedback here before I tried anything