PDA

View Full Version : When to feed new shrimp

250Gimp
11-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Hi all

I added 8 new red cherry shrimp last Sunday to help clean up algae in my tank.

I have some green algae on the substrate and some rocks, as well as some on the glass. There is also some white fuzz on my driftwood, as well as some brown algae on it.

Can the shrimp survive on the algae alone or do I need to feed them as well? I did buy some Fluval shrimp pellets.

At this point I can only find 5 shrimp, so I may have lost a few. I do see some clear shrimp skins though.

Thanks

Goes to 11!
11-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Is there other stock? or is it a new shrimp tank?

If there is other stock I wouldn't worry about it, They will find plenty of leftovers as well as the algae munching.

If it is shrimp only I would only feed once or twice a week because left over food will destroy your water quality and they will also have algae to eat.

Shrimp don't eat much at all.

The white fuzz, [If slimy] is simply biofilm although I prefer the technical term "Driftwood snot" and will go away or get eaten also.
:22:

250Gimp
11-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks 850R

The only other stock is a betta.

I will keep an eye on them and maybe treat them in a couple weeks, depending how the algae supply is doing.

Cheers

Goes to 11!
11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
YVW :22:

Just a heads up:

They may end up being betta snacks, Some pay no attention.. Some see a shrimp buffet. There's no telling which way each individual betta will feel.

Good luck and enjoy your tank.
:22:

250Gimp
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks again 850R!

He followed them around a bit when they first arrived, but now doesn't seem to bother with them.

Cheers