PDA

View Full Version : Cory in Distress?

Munko
10-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Good Evening,

Yesterday night I purchased 2 corydoras (1 albino, 1 peppered) for my 29gal planted tank. The albino is adapting very nicely. The peppered, on the other hand, seems agitated and is even twitching and tipping sideways every once in a while. His barbs are intact, and he is outwardly healthy in appearance.

Should I be concerned?

My substrate is really cheezy blue gravel, and is not even - - should I even it out?

He often tries to swim near the front of the tank, and this is where the current is strong (I have an eclipse with the two chutes of water) - - do you think this is stressing him more?

Please advise, I would like to do everything I can to make the peppered comfortable.

Dave66
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Though they mostly come from still waters, cories like to play in current. Who knows why.

Dave

squirt_12
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Good Evening,

Yesterday night I purchased 2 corydoras (1 albino, 1 peppered) for my 29gal planted tank. The albino is adapting very nicely. The peppered, on the other hand, seems agitated and is even twitching and tipping sideways every once in a while. His barbs are intact, and he is outwardly healthy in appearance.

Should I be concerned?

My substrate is really cheezy blue gravel, and is not even - - should I even it out?

He often tries to swim near the front of the tank, and this is where the current is strong (I have an eclipse with the two chutes of water) - - do you think this is stressing him more?

Please advise, I would like to do everything I can to make the peppered comfortable.
Well i am not sure what is wrong but you should school your corys...atleast 3 of each kind...or 3 altogether so they can school.

Munko
10-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Well i am not sure what is wrong but you should school your corys...atleast 3 of each kind...or 3 altogether so they can school.

Hi Squirt, yes, I had intended to add a third, but didn't want to add too many new fish at once (my rule of thumb is 2 at a time). I asked the gent at the pet store, and he said that as long as there was three it didn't matter what kind. I was thinking of getting a panda.

SkarloeysMom
10-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Squirt, yes, I had intended to add a third, but didn't want to add too many new fish at once (my rule of thumb is 2 at a time). I asked the gent at the pet store, and he said that as long as there was three it didn't matter what kind. I was thinking of getting a panda.

I've seen corys do that twitching and floating over on their sides thing and its hard to tell exactly if there's something wrong with them or not. I had some sickly pandas that did that and were sick but I've also seen others that seem heathy (so far) doing it too. I'd say just keep a close eye on them for a while.

You may have received some bad information from your LFS. Most here will tell you that corys of difference species will not school together. If your tank is cycled and healthy you should not have a problem adding 3-5 corys at a time as long as you are not overstocking by doing so. I believe its best to buy them at the same time from the same tank but that's my personal opinion. I bought 5 spotted corys and found that 1 was a Juli cory when I got home and they all still school together but not always.

One other thing, I found pandas to be a more delicate species of corys. You may want to go for a bit bigger and hardier species.

squirt_12
10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
ok well i have a question for you Munko...what size is your tank???

Munko
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks again for good advice. I thankfully know which tank I purchased the cory from, so I can get another one from that tank. It had albino and peppered cories in it. If I got bad advice from my local fish people, how can I rectify this? Am I ok just to buy another either peppered or albino? Alternately, I still have room in my tank and could conceivably get another one of each (would this better or worsen the problem?).

Squirt, to answer your question - I have a 29gal planted tank, with two male dwarf gouramis, and two female dwarf gouramis, and currently two cories. I was thinking of aquiring some more gouramis, but I would be happy to add cories instead if that will keep them happier and healthier.........

Best,

J

zackish
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Give him some time. I think your albino actually adapted kind of fast. Mine like to swim and dance around for about a week and just swim all over the place into the walls and such before they settle down.

SkarloeysMom
10-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks again for good advice. I thankfully know which tank I purchased the cory from, so I can get another one from that tank. It had albino and peppered cories in it. If I got bad advice from my local fish people, how can I rectify this? Am I ok just to buy another either peppered or albino? Alternately, I still have room in my tank and could conceivably get another one of each (would this better or worsen the problem?).

Squirt, to answer your question - I have a 29gal planted tank, with two male dwarf gouramis, and two female dwarf gouramis, and currently two cories. I was thinking of aquiring some more gouramis, but I would be happy to add cories instead if that will keep them happier and healthier.........

Best,

J

What you do about the bad advise is up to you. If you like the store and they have clean tanks and healthy fish for the most part then personally I would keep shopping there but just not ask their advice. Just do your own research and ask questions here and go with that. Some people in fish stores just wanna sell you some fish and really don't know that much about them.

Sounds like you have have room so 2 more of each species of the healthiest looking ones in the tank would probably be a good idea. 6 would make you a nice school even if they don't hang out together all the time.

CAF
10-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I have pairs of 4 different speicies in a 50g they sometimes all school together but most often the pairs stick together in different parts of the tank. I don't know that the LFS gave you bad information so much as incorrect information. They may have seen them schooling together and thought they would do it all of the time.

Munko
10-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you have have room so 2 more of each species of the healthiest looking ones in the tank would probably be a good idea. 6 would make you a nice school even if they don't hang out together all the time.

Thanks again. I will gladly add cories instead of dwarf gouramis (although I wanted a blue powder pretty badly, I am thinking three males in a 29gal might be pushing it anyway). My only question is: my 29 is an Eclipse, so it is tall rather than long. Will 6 cories, be ok with that surface space? My tank is pretty heavily planted, but these are mostly tall plants with stalk, and grass - - in addition I have a large rock with many 'fish tunnels' shot through it that the cories seem to really like ....

CAF
10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Corys will go to the top to get air if needed. You should be able to add the corys as well as 1 dwarf without a problem so long as your filtration is good. The plants throw off the standard stocking procedure.

Mark Lathrop
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I have 3 peppered corys and they love to swim at the front of the tank and play in the filter stream. They also like to explore new tanks using their barbs. When I introduced mine, they liked to touch everything in the tank at least once over with their barbs before they were totally comfortable.