PDA

View Full Version : Happy accident - unexpected fry - help!

cosyfit
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi , I know nothing about fish/breeding or raising fry, but my daughters pet fish have bred. It turned out they have layed eggs and they have hatched tonight, i have separated the parents from the fry. They are a male golden fantail and a female black moor. I really need help here, I know nothing about this but I dont want the fry to die, what do I need to do now / what equipment do I need to get to ensure the fry live? another silly question - can a cross of the above type grow to maturity? If they can survive will they be sterile? Does any one know what a cross like this looks like? Thanks so much , eagerly looking forward to all advice. Cosyfit

~Erik3.8.07~
10-03-2007, 09:55 PM
i dont know much about goldfish fry but when i had molly fry they happily took finely crushed flakes and also make sure your fry cant get sucked up into the filter

CAF
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi , I know nothing about fish/breeding or raising fry, but my daughters pet fish have bred. It turned out they have layed eggs and they have hatched tonight, i have separated the parents from the fry. They are a male golden fantail and a female black moor. I really need help here, I know nothing about this but I dont want the fry to die, what do I need to do now / what equipment do I need to get to ensure the fry live? another silly question - can a cross of the above type grow to maturity? If they can survive will they be sterile? Does any one know what a cross like this looks like? Thanks so much , eagerly looking forward to all advice. Cosyfit

I would recommend you pull the adults and place them in a seperate tank. The fry will feed on infusoria for the first few days and then you begin feeding them powered food. I have no idea what the cross will look like, but congratualtions.

scruffy
10-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Don't goldfish fry have yolk sacs?

cocoa_pleco
10-04-2007, 03:28 AM
i dont think so, not 100% sure though

cosyfit
10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi Scruffy & Cocoa, I have noticed that the fry appear to have a yolk sac, I did some searching online and it seams that they do have a yolk sac and should be able to survive off of this for a few days. Cheers

cosyfit
10-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Hi Caf & Erik, thanks for your advice, and your congradulations, hopefully I'll help these little guys , I can see Im going to have to get a bigger fishtank! Cosyfit

cosyfit
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi ,

I talked to you about 9 months ago about my happy accident! I just wanted to say thanks- we learnt a lot and unfortunately lost a lot of fry, but we now have our own little fish about 10 months old and one and a half inches big! the little fish is beautiful he or she has a fantail body but blackmoor colour - great!

thanks for your help

yours cosyfit

I would recommend you pull the adults and place them in a seperate tank. The fry will feed on infusoria for the first few days and then you begin feeding them powered food. I have no idea what the cross will look like, but congratualtions.

cosyfit
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi ,

I talked to you about 9 months ago about my happy accident! I just wanted to say thanks- we learnt a lot and unfortunately lost a lot of fry, but we now have our own little fish about 10 months old and one and a half inches big! the little fish is beautiful he or she has a fantail body but blackmoor colour - great!

thanks for your help

yours cosyfit
i dont know much about goldfish fry but when i had molly fry they happily took finely crushed flakes and also make sure your fry cant get sucked up into the filter

JewelsO's
07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Rasing GF fry is very easy.. If you ever get anymore spawnings.. feed the fry BBS several times per day then, switch over to daphina. Is the 10 month old a fry from that spawn?

cosyfit
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi there,

yes the 10 month old is from that spawn (cross between golden fantail and blackmoor).

Gemstone
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
the momma was a goldfish...the poppa was a goldfish...lol..NOPE..ure baby is not sterile....the different goldfish are all just varients on the same theme...like dogs..:11:

Boertjie
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: It is a fish:hmm3grin2orange:

cosyfit
07-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Gemstone,
thanks for that info.
Wee query - would it be safe to move my baby in with the adults now or should i keep him separate and just get him/her a friend of similar size? The adults are about 3 inches the babe is about 1.5 inches.
thanks

troy
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes you can move it into the adult tank.

graceluvsplatys
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
oooh sounds cool, how big is the tank? just to make sure 3 can be happy there.

Mvjnz
07-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Actually, the fantail and black moor are the same species. They are both goldfish, just bred to look differently. Just like labradors and rottweilers are both dogs, but different looks.

So your fish is not a cross between species, just a cross between different varities of goldfish.

Gemstone
07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi Gemstone,
thanks for that info.
Wee query - would it be safe to move my baby in with the adults now or should i keep him separate and just get him/her a friend of similar size? The adults are about 3 inches the babe is about 1.5 inches.
thanks
Yup you can move him in....the rule with goldies is...if it can't fit into the mouth...it can't be eaten...:hmm3grin2orange:

cosyfit
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi All,

thanks for your reply.
The adult tank is 125 litres (2.5m2 surface area)and the babes is 20 litres (702cm2 surface area).
Thanks for the tank move answers - i have a couple of questions to add to that. I talked to a fish enthusiast at work - he mentioned putting the babe in with the adults could upset the happy breeding situation (they are loving all the time!). Also I had blackmoors and golden fantails when I was 10 - but I remember I woke up one morning to find some of my fish feeding on another - homicide! Also some of the fish seemed to have a nasty streak and would eat the others fins - is this a regular trait in goldfish? My 2 adults are really happy together.

cheers again. Cosyfit