PDA

View Full Version : Potential giant betta babies

bethyMT
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I located a breeder of giant bettas, in Detroit. He has many many babies that he can't house, so I am getting one. Unfortunately, this man's english is not so good, so I can't tell if I am getting 1 or 12. All I have to pay is shipping. These are all true giants with the occasional regular betta mixed it. Both parents are HMPKs, in the red spectrum, both giant. Babies are bicolor black/red, cambodian red, and some black lace. All show quality (or so I'm told).

Anyway, I can't keep all 12 if that is what I get. Would anyone here want one? You will only pay for shipping, as I have. I also have a LFS who will take the extras, but I thought I'd offer here.

Obviously no DOA guarantee, but an interesting thing to try if you're dreaming of a giant but are lacking funds.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL until I open the package and see what I get. PM me for any additional details, I will not transact publicly.

Thanks. Mods, please remove this if it is inappropriate or move to correct place if I've messed up. Thank you!

bethyMT
11-26-2012, 08:27 PM
And, United States people only. Customs just sounds way too daunting, and with live creatures, doubly bad.

My apologies.

fishfreak123
11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Great luck, i need pics of the babies....:angel2:

bethyMT
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
If or when they show up, pics will be here. This is gonna be crazy if it goes the way I think it will. Readying the quarantine tank and getting ready to spring into action tomorrow.

Obviously, I don't want to keep these fish with me for a terribly long time, so, after I get pics up, those who are interested should speak up so I can pass them along, all that are left are leaving this house on Thursday/Friday at the latest.

MCHRKiller
11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Ill take a young male if you have extra :11: Always in the market for a Giant HMPK...

ScottishFish
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
So no across Atlantic shipping? :hmm3grin2orange:

bethyMT
11-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Ill take a young male if you have extra :11: Always in the market for a Giant HMPK...

Aren't we ALL in the market for a giant HMPK???Hee hee! You're on the list MCHRKiller!

Scottishfish, are you a little jealous?

Well, the guy took my money, I did message him to see how many he's sending me. It kind of doesn't matter to me, since I just paid for the box. And it's terrible karma to profit of of someone's kindness.

bethyMT
11-27-2012, 12:37 AM
OMG people...he is sending as many as will fit in the box. Oh goodness.

please, you want a betta?? :11:

seb's fish
11-27-2012, 01:24 AM
And how big is the box? You get so many!

Tiari
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
OMG that's a lot of Betta! I wish I could take one...... I"ll have to do some thinking.

kparrott
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Where are you located in Ohio? I'm in Southern Ohio but make trips to the central and NE part of the state to see family.

I'd be interested in a male, or a few females to start a community.

Thanks

bethyMT
11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm southwest of Cleveland. South of the city called Elyria. About two hours north east of Columbus. If you can make it up here, you can have what you want, if all goes well.

Tiari - when this deal was coming down, I thought of you....you HAVE to get one!! I know you want one...

CONE_YAK
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
{Raises hand} There is always room in my tank.

Tiari
11-28-2012, 01:14 AM
LOL My husband would kill me. I don't currently have a tank for it, or the room.......... and I don't dare put a giant in with the neon tank LOL

bethyMT
11-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Tiari, hey....we can be dead together.

I have purposefully been avoiding thinking about what my husband is gonna say when he sees all these bettas in the house. Since he didn't even know I liked bettas that much. Oh wait, I didn't even know I liked bettas this much.

Sheesh. At this point, I have four tanks going, probably more as these guys grow out (if I can do that before taking what's left to the LFS).

My total family is gonna be: me, dh, two little kids, six indoor-only cats, a slew of tropical fish and a sh*t ton of giant bettas. Woo. :11: I'm crazy.

bethyMT
11-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Tiari, hey....we can be dead together.

I have purposefully been avoiding thinking about what my husband is gonna say when he sees all these bettas in the house. Since he didn't even know I liked bettas that much. Oh wait, I didn't even know I liked bettas this much.

Sheesh. At this point, I have four tanks going, probably more as these guys grow out (if I can do that before taking what's left to the LFS).

My total family is gonna be: me, dh, two little kids, six indoor-only cats, a slew of tropical fish and a sh*t ton of giant bettas. Woo. :11: I'm crazy.

bethyMT
11-28-2012, 04:01 AM
Please PM me if you still wish to have one of these bettas. It will take longer to get these all out than I anticipated.

I will be taking a break from the board, but still checking PMs. Thanks

Cyberra
11-28-2012, 04:15 AM
I wish I could get one. But you already said no to cross-border shipping.

Kyle17
11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Please PM me if you still wish to have one of these bettas. It will take longer to get these all out than I anticipated.

I will be taking a break from the board, but still checking PMs. Thanks
i pmed u i live in taylor michigan, how much would shipping cost? and will paypal work for payment

Lolita
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I've never even heard of Giant Betta!

Cyberra
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I've never even heard of Giant Betta!
They're roughly twice as big as a normal betta.

Lolita
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
They're roughly twice as big as a normal betta.

Ooooh... :O!! I assume, then, that they need a 10g minimum?

Cyberra
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Ooooh... :O!! I assume, then, that they need a 10g minimum?
Yup, 10g minimum. Big betta, lots of fin space.

http://www.ram91giantbettas.com/Image/image/Giant%20Story/KGB----09.jpg Normal betta and giant betta... size comparison. Giants are BIG fins

bethyMT
12-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi all...the bettas are here. I have roughly 14-16 of them. Still very baby-like at 10 weeks old.

I have many to share...if you were on the fence aobut a giant, or perhaps just want a regular size (I have some too), they are here and need a good home. They will be shipped expedited to your home or to your local post office, and I will charge nothing more than that expense.

Please PM me if you are interested. I'd rather these guys go to forum members who will care for them properly than send them to the LFS, where it may be a death sentence.

Thanks,
Beth

Joshua.M
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Guessing you won't want to ship to Canada? I would love a male

Cyberra
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I want a red-and-black giant male SO BAD ;_;

Did you get my PM about my friend Icy?

MCHRKiller
12-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I have a giant at work, he is much larger than a normal HMPK but still by no means a huge fish. Most giants today only reach the 3.5-4" mark...you could honestly keep one quite happily in a 5.5G tank. A lot of reference states a giant betta can get to 6" but I have never seen photos of a fish over 3.75". However by betta standards that is still quite large and yes about twice the size of a normal.

I must also comment on the OPs level of kindness to "spread the wealth" by offering these fish at cost of shipping. :afro:

bethyMT
12-02-2012, 04:02 AM
I must also comment on the OPs level of kindness to "spread the wealth" by offering these fish at cost of shipping. :afro:

Awww shucks, thanks. But, I'm only doing expedited shipping because of the season...so that's not cheap! But way cheaper than buying the betta itself and dealing with transhippers and such (so I have been told). It comes me to you, and I happen to love the little things, so you know I'll do my very best to do this right.

Sorry, no shipping to Canada...I don't have the capability to do it. I feel like I keep waving this carrot in front of you guys, my apologies for that. (blush)

Lolita
12-02-2012, 04:15 AM
I have a giant at work, he is much larger than a normal HMPK but still by no means a huge fish. Most giants today only reach the 3.5-4" mark...you could honestly keep one quite happily in a 5.5G tank. A lot of reference states a giant betta can get to 6" but I have never seen photos of a fish over 3.75". However by betta standards that is still quite large and yes about twice the size of a normal.

Hmm... If they can live happily in a 5 gal I would consider one! For Christmas, I'm bought my sister and nephew a fluval chi like mine and will be getting him a betta for it! A giant betta would be a real treat.

Cyberra
12-02-2012, 04:20 AM
*pokes BethyMT* I sent you a note about my friend in Washington who would like two giants... I was wondering if you got it. She's the person who got me hooked on them, and she lost most of her bettas when some jerkoff poisoned her tank. She's had big bettas before... A king betta who had a taste for crickets.

MCHRKiller
12-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Having just bought a Thailand super red HMPK myself...I can tell you Express shipping is nothing to the PITA and expense of importing a fish. It is my first time importing and unless it is one hell of a nice fish probably my last time.

Being a US fish it will probably get to 3-3.5", my own giant is 3.5" and large by betta standards...still a small fish. A 5.5G is fine IMO...bettas arnt notoriously active or messy.

Shidohari
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Dang it if i had another aquarium and space for another betta i'd get one.

Congrats on your offspring but i have way too many tanks as it is lol...

bethyMT
12-02-2012, 09:02 PM
*pokes BethyMT* I sent you a note about my friend in Washington who would like two giants... I was wondering if you got it. She's the person who got me hooked on them, and she lost most of her bettas when some jerkoff poisoned her tank. She's had big bettas before... A king betta who had a taste for crickets.

I thought I lost that PM, but I found it again. Let me do a count of how many are spoken for,and how many are left, and I'll message her.

Would anybody be game for a regular sized one? I have a couple girls who look to be regular size (but who knows at this point), and they are so cute. One looks solid grey-ish, so I'd assume another black lace or maybe just black. The other is a black lace with red fins. If nobody takes them I may just keep a sorority in the 20 gallon. Those little ones are real gems too.

As an aside, I am keeping one of the bigger boys(I think a boy, sigh), we're calling him Mr. Sassypants since he's a little terror. Can I tell you...he's got more personality than can fit in his tank. He's a gorgeous black/red with blue shimmers. He's not the biggest, but he was so dang cute,flaring at all of his siblings and defending his little betta log territory. He also is a piglet...have to watch him,he's already a little bit "fluffy" from eating too much! I'm smitten...really,they are all very nice fish.

Cyberra
12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
You're making me want one even more

Shidohari
12-03-2012, 12:08 AM
tell me about it but i have no more room for any tanks and the one i have available is still cycling and it's dedicated to something else...but really...:: smacks herself:: DOWN JAMI...

sorry i'm better now

Joshua.M
12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
still wishing you would ship to canada.....

bethyMT
12-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I wish I could too, Joshua. But I just can't risk sending you a fish that may not arrive to you in time. I'm just a cruddy amateur at all of this.

Seriously, the only reason I have some idea how to do to this is because I've totally spammed the betta forum on how to do this (raise these guys, ship them). So far they are really doing well...I can tell they are growing already, but that may be more because of luck than my care.

Gotta love these 50% per day water changes. Shaping up my arms.

bethyMT
12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
The parents. Dad first, then mom. I am seeing some lovely black layered over with red and topped off with blue sheen on some of these babies. Just beautiful. Even some of these so-called "black lace" may mature to be black/reds with varying degrees of iridescence.

Cyberra
12-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Beautiful ^w^

Tiari
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Your killing me LOL. Though I really really want one, I would be a horrible fish keeper taking on a fish I have no proper home for. Grrrr..... why cant I have a huge house??

Shidohari
12-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Dang it tiara she's killing me too....

Cyberra
12-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Dang it tiara she's killing me too....
Join the club...

MCHRKiller
12-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Most people could find room for a 5-10G. Top of dresser, counter, desk, etc. Really no reason not to give in since you can get a decent tank kit at big box stores under $30 plus the shipping on the fish.

bethyMT
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I got a decent 5gal kit at Petsmart for $27 I think. There are a few males in need of homes yet, all the females are spoken for.

However, I do understand that people don't want to become "that fish person" with tanks all over the house, or, to be become worse with the MTS. And there is the conundrum of taking the time to cycle it when the fish will be arriving presently. Fortunately, bettas are a *bit* more tolerant of fish-in cycling's tank parameters.

My older daughter (almost 5) has decided that we are keeping one cambodian female and has named her Zebra. Sigh. I'm gonna be "that fish lady" on top of "that cat lady" and "that plant lady." I guess I should be thankful that my love of living things didn't extend to me being "the lady with a million kids." No more of those.

Cyberra
12-07-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm already "that fish person". The sign outside my bedroom door reads "Lair of Crazy Fish Lady".

Shidohari
12-08-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm not that fish person yet...Hell if it wasn't inhuman and unfishworthy i'd find a new home for mr nippy aka jack in the five gallon tank and take one of the giant bettas off of bethy's hands especially since i live in northern KY

though he's probably mr nippy partially the fact that he started in the two gallon tank

bethyMT
12-14-2012, 07:17 PM
There are six fish left...any takers out there?

Shipping has been an interesting adventure, but all the fish shipped so far have arrived in great shape.

PLEASE, TAKE A FISH! I CAN'T HANDLE FOUR TANKS! I mean, I am handling all these water changes because I have to, but I don't enjoy it. Just a lot of fish.

Thanks.

Cyberra
12-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm definitely a taker, but there's no shipping to here ;_;

Did you get ahold of Icy about two or more of them?

zaphekiel
12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Thank you BethyMT! I could not figure out how to upload pics, so I put a pic of lil one as my avatar, hopefully ya'll can see it! Still thinking of a name, but he/she is fitting in well with my oto clan :)

serbusfish
12-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I did reply to your PM Bethy but you haven't replied yet? Do you have any pics, if I could see them I may be interested.

bethyMT
12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Erin, he looks so good already! You must be doing a great job. I'm so very glad that he is in a loving home. Aren't his colors just beautiful!

I'm feeling transshipper-mommy pride right now! And I'm so happy that this little guy (one of my favorites admittedly) landed in such a great place.

Keep me posted periodically on how he's doing, OK? That first bubblenest is such a milestone!

Yeah, I'm a real fish nerd. Like, the overactive mothering instinct kind.:14:

Cyberra
12-15-2012, 09:15 PM
*pokes BethyMT several times* Gotten hold of Icy yet? kristalktiger@hotmail.com She is VERY interested

Shidohari
12-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I want one so bad, but the only tank i have available is the one that's nearing the end of it's fishless cycle...

I want it to be for some ember tetras and snails(1 nerite and one assassin)...but...

Damn it bethyMT why you make my life so hard

eicg
02-24-2014, 05:22 AM
I would love a giant betta exspecialy I could get a male and female i stared breeding not that long ago and i would love a giant pair.:D Do you still have any avalible please say yes because i love my bettas and really love a giant or a pair as they can be breed with relatives. I guees you dont have females but i would love a male. And i love your remarks to the cat lady thing, at my house we have 4cats,4chickens,1dog,3 turtles, 2frogs, 1hedgehog, all my tropical fish, my beloved bettas, and my many plants.