PDA

View Full Version : white spots on my oscars

aron
06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I am a real novice when it comes to aquariums and of course I am having some issues. I have two oscars in a tank that are starting to show white spots. what can I do? Also, about two weeks ago my daughter found a baby cooter turtle and had to keep it, I have it in the same tank as the oscars an dI am sure this is probably not a good thing but she loves it and is only four. Is there any way they can cohabitate and is this causing the problems?

Incredulous_Ed
06-21-2006, 02:03 AM
The white spots are called "ick" or "ich." The ick is always in your tank, but your fish will only get it when they are stressed out, since that lowers their immune system. So they probably got stressed when you introduced the turtle to the tank. You can get ick medicine at pretty much any pet store that carries fish (even wal-mart!).

rev
06-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Welcome aboard. Ich medication may well kill the turtle. They should be kept in cooler water with a place to get out of the water as well. I wouldn't recomend keeping turtles with oscars. The oscars, when large won't tolerate tankmates & will kill the turtle.
Ich or white spot appears as tiny white spots(vert tiny) If it is this it can be combatted with heat. Ich is a coldwater parasite that cannot survive in temps over 86f. Slowly raise the temp(over a day or two) to 86 or 88f & you will kill them.

DemonShark
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
How big is your tank and also ick med will kill the turtle raise temperture is the safest way you may have to consider of getting a other tank for the turtle.Alothugh it may not be ick at all! I read this guy had a couple oscars with a small tank and they started to get white spots to he did everything but wouldnt go away it was their skin that was making the white spots and since the tank was small they started fighting!But do the ick first then after a week and its still there get a big tank or two meduim tanks

aron
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all of the feed back. I am going to try and raise the temperature and I guess seperate the turtle to see if that will help the oscars get better. I suppose I am going to have to bite the bullet and get something bigger. It is just a little tank like 20 gallons, but I thought that would be plenty since the oscars are babies. Now, when these Oscars get bigger will they tolerate each other? Or will that be another investment. I don't want to end up with a wall of tanks for two fish and a turtle.
thanks again for all of the imput.

NorthernBoy
06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
i have found that full grown oscars need a 55 gallon tank minimum to be really heathy. That's assumeing you have 1 oscar. 75 gallon should be ok for 2.