PDA

View Full Version : DIY CO2 question

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 03:35 AM
I am running a DIY CO2 system and am diffusing it by running it through the intake filter. I can hear the bubbles breaking going through the impellar at the top of the intake tube (the fan contraption). My question would be, after this diffusion process, what happens to the CO2? Am I supposed to take out the filter pad that the water runs through? I am running a Penguin 100 filter. It would seem that the CO2 would get trapped in the filter padding if not removed.

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 05:16 AM
I tried running my line into the filter but the air popping in the filter drove me nuts. I have read that the propeller helps chew that CO2 up and send it back into the tank. I think gm72 also runs his into his filter. Maybe he'll get an answer to you tomorrow.

I see no reason to remove the filter. I did remove all my bio-wheels tho to not drive the CO2 back out too quickly.

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
I just have no idea what the CO2 will look like after it gets chopped up. I guess it would just look like normal running water. Removing the bio-wheels sounds like an interesting idea.

I was reading about the chopping noise, but I can't hear it on mine unless I take the cover and actually make an effort to listen. It's about one every second or so, so I can see how that could drive you crazy, lol.

zackish
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
You can't see it because it gets chopped up so small....if those bubbles are getting sucked in to the intake you are good. I used to do this with my tank now I have a diffuser....there is no harm in doing it though.

CAF
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
I am running a DIY CO2 system and am diffusing it by running it through the intake filter. I can hear the bubbles breaking going through the impellar at the top of the intake tube (the fan contraption). My question would be, after this diffusion process, what happens to the CO2? Am I supposed to take out the filter pad that the water runs through? I am running a Penguin 100 filter. It would seem that the CO2 would get trapped in the filter padding if not removed.
What you are after is the disolving of the CO2 bubble into the water column. Leave your pad in, if the CO2 is caught its not that big a deal with the water running directly over it. There are many different ways of intruducing CO2 into the water column. You can do an inverted bell with CO2 being trapped there, you can use a ladder, you can directly inject via a canister filter, you can put it through an impeller, you can use a ceramic or wood stone for fine bubbles, the list is endless, the end result is all that matters. Choose one that works best for you and your tank.

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. That helps. :thumb:

CAF
10-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. That helps. :thumb:
Not a problem!