PDA

View Full Version : a pair of ram and a pair of yellow lab

nelsonmoh
10-01-2007, 10:03 PM
hey guys, can a pair of yellow lab coop wit a pair of ram in a 20 gallon tank?? since both of them have the less aggresiveness, probably i think they can coop with each and other..pls correct me if im wrong..thanks.

Spyder
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
They each need different water parameters so that wouldn't work
Labs are African, not South American

CAF
10-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Most people tell you not to mix new and old world cichlids... I do, however for breeding purposes the two types you mentioned need different types of water....

nelsonmoh
10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
thanks for the informations. i would like to have 3 types of african cichlids in my tank..is it possible 2 alfa, 2 lab and 2 white socofoli..??i like alfa, but then is aggressive?? any suggestions on reducing aggressiveness??

Fishguy2727
10-02-2007, 10:06 PM
What fish do you have now?

nelsonmoh
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
sorry it is not alfa but then is afra from malawi mbuna...right now fishless...

Fishguy2727
10-02-2007, 11:04 PM
20 is pretty small for mbunas, or any rift lake cichlids for that matter. If you are going to do a 20 (which I recommend not to) I would only have one species and have one male and two or three females.

nelsonmoh
10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
okay thanks for for the info..i dun intend to have large cichlid.. the most is 2 inches..my tank is not big enough so it wouldnt be nice..currently,i have a cichlid tank and i dun intend to change it plus i couldn't afford to change it because im still a university student..it costs me a lot..next year i will shift to another campus so i decide to have african cichlids...pls give me suggestions??

Fishguy2727
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Yellow labs get bigger than 2", so they are out.

What type of cichlids do you currently have?

CAF
10-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Yellow labs get bigger than 2", so they are out.

What type of cichlids do you currently have?

I have seen pics of 16" yellow labs in the wild. However they only get around 4 to 6 in aquaria...

I would go with apistos or other dwarf cichlids.

Fishguy2727
10-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Fishbase.org lists them at 8.1cm (just over 3"). If you could share that pic of a 16" please do, otherwise I can't believe it at all (no offense to you, but so much bad info is out there).

Do you have anything now?

CAF
10-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Fishbase.org lists them at 8.1cm (just over 3"). If you could share that pic of a 16" please do, otherwise I can't believe it at all (no offense to you, but so much bad info is out there).

Do you have anything now?
The pic was from a speaker we had at a club meeting. She had gone to Lake Malawi with Ad Konings and they took a picture of a young boy with a stringer of fish, including a Labidochromis caeruleus ''Electric yellow'' that was as big as, if not bigger than, the child's head. They were eating them for dinner. Unfortunately I can not produce the picture as she did not provide a copy of presentation to the club.

Fishguy2727
10-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Honestly I don't believe it. I think it was either a misidentification (considering how many species are in Lake Malawi), or an edited/misleading picture.

Regardless of my personal feelings, I think if they had the potential to get that big in the wild, I would expect that out of all the people keeping such great care of their African cichlids, we would see at least one in captivity over 4-5".

CAF
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Honestly I don't believe it. I think it was either a misidentification (considering how many species are in Lake Malawi), or an edited/misleading picture.

Regardless of my personal feelings, I think if they had the potential to get that big in the wild, I would expect that out of all the people keeping such great care of their African cichlids, we would see at least one in captivity over 4-5".

I will get ahold of Ad Konings tonight when I get home from work and have him clarify the issue for me. You are correct, it may have been misidentified. I trust his explantion will be satisafactory...

CAF
10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I will get ahold of Ad Konings tonight when I get home from work and have him clarify the issue for me. You are correct, it may have been misidentified. I trust his explantion will be satisafactory...

I spoke with Ad last night and he verified that this was a misidentification. The largest he has seen is 6" With the average being 4" If I can locate the picture, Ad will try to identify it so I can let you know what it was.

Thanks!