PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Betta...greenish gray stuff on him!

kalima117
06-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am hoping someone out there might be able to advise me what is up with my betta fish.

He has a pale greenish, gray film on him. It looks like he has been dusted with pollen or something. I dont know if it could be from a live plant bulb I had put in there and have now removed. Both the bettas (they share a tank with a divider) seem to be eating fine and with a great appetite, but they have started going in a low tight place and sitting still there. Something I never noticed them doing before.
Perhaps the other betta also has the "pollen film" on him, but it is not visible due to his coloring. But on the dark blue one it is very visible especially in certain lighting. He barely looks blue anymore, just very dark, almost black, with a grayish green mossy film on him.

Any idea what it might be and how I can treat it?

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will be able to assist.

Thanks!

William
06-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Sounds like some type of fungus. Try adding some aquarium salt to the water. (1 teaspoon of salt per 2 1/2 Gallon)

kalima117
06-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Hi William

I have been checking up on this online...I don't think it is Ick because it does not look like white spots, but from the description, it could be something called Velvet. Are you familiar with it? Treatment recommended is something called Aquarisol or something called BettaZing. Are you familiar with any of these? Aquarium salt? Get it at any petstore?
I can't belive it took me so long to feel certain something was wrong, but now I'm worried. I hope I can fix this on time.

Thank you!!!

Anna

William
06-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Yes. I considered velvet but thought I would suggest fungus first as it still has its appetite.

You can buy aquarium salt in any fishstore.

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2006, 04:20 AM
I'm not sure about this but I think you can just use regular household salt as long as it has no iodine in it. But i'm realy not sure so you should just ask William

NorthernBoy
06-20-2006, 04:36 AM
NO! Use only aquarium salt in you fish tank. Kosher and iodized salt have other impurities and can often raise you kpa lvls to extreme highs.

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh, well never mind.
sorry for any troble I have caused

kalima117
06-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Hello All

I have used the aquarium salt. They are becoming more active and no longer hiding under and behind things. Their tails are "fanning" again. Their appetites are excellent. However they still have the dusty looking stuff on them....

Regarding aquarium salt. Should I always use it or only if they are sick? Do I only put it in during a water change or do I need to add it regularly?
Is anyone familiar with a product called Aquari-sol? Can this be used for the dusty fungus/velvet or whatever they have? Is this used as a treatment only or as a part of maintenance?

Thank you all for your ideas, replies and for sharing your knowledge.
Thank you William for the aquarium salt tip. It has made a huge difference for sure. They are looking and acting much more like the boys I'm familiar with.

Anna

William
06-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Good to hear. The rest of the dust will likely vanish soon.

wether you can or should use salt all time depends a little on which other fish you keep in the tank.

kalima117
06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
The only fish in the tank are the two male Bettas. It is a 2 1/2 gal. tank with a divider (that has been partially camouflaged by weaving plastic plants through it so that they dont have constant and complete visibility of each other).

I put in 1 teaspoon, like you suggested.
Do you think I should add it at every water change?

Thanks!

Anna

DemonShark
06-24-2006, 11:50 PM
It woukd proubly help keep it at bay so I suggest yes check with William tho

William
06-25-2006, 05:40 PM
If you only keep Betta fish I recommend that you always use salt. Yes you should add salt at every water exchange but only to the new water, Ie if you change 5 gallon of water you should only add enough salt for that water.