PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur Eel

SDBolts21
09-30-2007, 10:11 PM
As I was re-searching on the web, I came accross a fish that was neat looking. It's called the dinosaur eel. Would anyone happen to know where I could possibly find some more information on them? Would any of you happen to know much about them?

Dave66
09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Most likely a Polypterus species. Common name is usually Bichar. Google the former for info.

Dave

SDBolts21
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Whats the former? Sorry if its a dumb question.

Dave66
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
No such thing as a dumb question. By the former I meant the Genus name Polypterus to search for.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Its a Senegal bichir aka Senegalus polypterus. I use to have one that was about 5 inches long until my barracuda decided to have it for lunch.

Fishguy2727
09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
It would be Polypterus senegalus.

They get 12-15", are a bottom dwelling (although some will learn to eat floating pellets) carnivore, they will pretty much ignore fish too big to swallow. They are excellent excape artists.

TowBoater
10-01-2007, 12:58 AM
I had one for several months until it and my pleco started fighting for silver side pieces, he was about 8" long. I would not put him in anything smaller than a 55g but they are very cool, watching them eat pieces of silver sides is awesome!! Most LFS carry them in like 3" versions but like I said, they get big and need like a 55g at least and a tight fitting lid is a must along with excellent filtration and they need hiding places and also avoid keeping with small fish like balloon mollies and plattys.

CAF
10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
If you are interested in them try looking up Ornate Bichir... They totally rock!

Melaniegirl1987
03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
OK this is what going on i have a Dino eel that i have had for about 3 to 4 years and he is about 6 inches long. we have fed him grasshoppers and blood worms and now i guess its not enough. theres an anglefish clown knife and a sucker fish in a 75 gallon tank. we started feeding him little gold fish is that ok and if it is how many should we feed him and how often. he is really mean too he attacks all the other fish. the pet store told us that the clown knife would be really mean. but he is a pussycat compared to the dino. eel so help me out please thanks.

Fishguy2727
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
The best thing would be New Life Spectrum, but any non-live diet would be better. Even clown knives can be switched over to NLS. It has a nice strong smell that attracts picky eaters. If you can't find it locally it is worth getting online, but Hikari Sinking Carnivore Wafers would be my distant second choice.

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
The Bichir's are awesome. We have babies (about 3-4") in a 40 gallon tank by themselves with a baby (3") Royal Pleco. We are feeding them Hakari carnivore pellets. The bigger one is just big enough to get the whole pellet in his mouth, and the other one can't even do that. It's awesome to watch the bigger one get the pellet in his mouth. His gills flair way out and his mouth with all his teeth is way open. He really does look like a dragon! Be careful though, as their back spines are venomous. Not enough to cause a trip to the hospital or anything (unless you are allergic), but it'll be sore for quite awhile if you accidently get stuck by one.

As was said before, be sure to have a tight lid, as they are escape artists. They have a breathing organ that allows them to live outside of water for a short period of time. I think it's called a Labrynth Organ, but I'm not 100% on that.

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2008, 02:29 AM
this threads from sept.

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:32 AM
LOL I didn't even notice.

OK this is what going on i have a Dino eel that i have had for about 3 to 4 years and he is about 6 inches long. we have fed him grasshoppers and blood worms and now i guess its not enough. theres an anglefish clown knife and a sucker fish in a 75 gallon tank. we started feeding him little gold fish is that ok and if it is how many should we feed him and how often. he is really mean too he attacks all the other fish. the pet store told us that the clown knife would be really mean. but he is a pussycat compared to the dino. eel so help me out please thanks.

Feeding them live feeders will only enhance their aggressiveness. Like fishguy said, get him on a pelleted food, whether NLS or Hakari or some other high quality pellet.

Melaniegirl1987
03-10-2008, 02:37 AM
How long do dino. eels usually live? will it get any bigger? how can you tell if its a male or female. i think mines a male cause its mean it bites the tales of my other fish and it looks like they could bleed i hate him out of all the fish!! is he so aggressive because i feed him live stuff?? am i asking to much sorry i'll stop

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:44 AM
How long do dino. eels usually live? will it get any bigger? how can you tell if its a male or female. i think mines a male cause its mean it bites the tales of my other fish and it looks like they could bleed i hate him out of all the fish!! is he so aggressive because i feed him live stuff?? am i asking to much sorry i'll stop

Welcome to AC! :22: You're not asking to much, but it may be better to start a thread of your own, you may get more responses :c3: The only way to learn is to ask questions! If I'm not mistaken, with fish the females are typically more aggressive than the males. They are somewhat aggressive by nature. Hunting for feeders brings out their hunting nature, and makes it more ingrained to go after other fish. Also, you greatly raise the risk of bringing disease to your tank, unless you are quaraintining (sp?) the feeders for at least a month before feeding.

Hope some of this helps!

Fishguy2727
03-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Males have a larger anal fin. They do nto show the different until they are 4-8" long. I have not heard of any differences in aggression between the sexes.

They are not venomous, at least not that I have ever heard or read. Where did you get that information?

Live foods are nutritonally incomplete and unbalanced, increase aggression, and introduce pathogens.

If you have problems with one you can always find it another decent home. No need to stress your self and your fish for a fish you are not even too crazy about.