PDA

View Full Version : New plants

country_boy454
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I received my order of three new plants for my aquarium. I got some java fern, java moss, and Najas guadalupensis (guppy grass). The person gave me a big portion of java fern and guppy grass. Wasn't to pleased with the amount of java moss though but hey i counted roughly 30 snails in the bags and three egg sacks. I emailed the person to see what kind of snails they were and was told Ramshorn. So not only did i get some plants I also received roughly 30 snails and three egg sacks. None of the snails are over 1/4 inch in size. The plants are doing awesome. I've had the plants since thursday and already the java fern has little plantlets on one leaf. Thought it was very cool. thumbs2: :19:

tropfish
09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
congrats on the plants, and watch the snails don't overrun the tank. (they always do haha :flipa: )

Dave66
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
congrats on the plants, and watch the snails don't overrun the tank. (they always do haha :flipa: )

Clarification: They always do if you overfeed your fish.

Dave

CAF
09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Clarification: They always do if you overfeed your fish.

Dave
LOL thats a fact... I'd watch the snails and MAKE sure they ARE ramshorns... One wouldn't like a surprise gift of Pond or Apple Snails...

Dave66
09-30-2007, 10:28 PM
If they are indeed Ramshorns, make sure your tank is thickly planted, as fish find baby Ramshorns VERY tasty.

Dave

country_boy454
09-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm not certain if they are ramshorns. I went through the plants before i put them in the tank to minimize most of the snails. I put most of them in a 5 gallon tank with my guppy fry. I put one in my ten gallon tank with my cory's and guppy's. They don't look like ramshorns to me. I think they look more like apple snails. They are tiny though so its hard to say. guess ill wait and see!!

Incredulous_Ed
10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool. congrats.

CAF
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm not certain if they are ramshorns. I went through the plants before i put them in the tank to minimize most of the snails. I put most of them in a 5 gallon tank with my guppy fry. I put one in my ten gallon tank with my cory's and guppy's. They don't look like ramshorns to me. I think they look more like apple snails. They are tiny though so its hard to say. guess ill wait and see!!

if they are Apples you will soon know as you won't have ANY plants in the tank... LOL

country_boy454
10-01-2007, 07:50 PM
if they are Apples you will soon know as you won't have ANY plants in the tank... LOL

lol yeah thats what im afraid of! so far after going through all the plants i havent seen any in my tank. If there were some they were about the size of the ball in a ball point pen so maybe my cichlids ate them. By the way my cichlids are acting different lately. Either they are trying to kill each other or they are doing their business. My g/f told me while i was at work she noticed them lip locked and dragging each other around the tank. All my planted plants are floating and they even dug up the airstone that i use at night. They only do this when the tank light is off. Should i leave it off or should i turn it on?