PDA

View Full Version : Gold Nugget Pleco feeding question

C-Dub
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Howdy AC'ers,

I give my GN Pleco a cut up piece of raw potato on about a weekly basis. I cut it into a 1" square about a 1/4" thick. Most of the time it's gone by the time I wake up, but once in a while I notice it goes untouched. I like the potato b/c it sinks to the substrate right away, and I put it in at night with the tank lights out. The few times that my pleco decided he's not into the potato it eventually floats up to the surface and my Angels start picking at it.

First, I'm wondering if the potato is ok for the Angels? I have scooped it out in the past not being totally sure if it's something they should be eating.

Secondly, what other foods does everyone's pleco's seem to enjoy most? Mine loves the Mopani driftwood in my tank, and the sinking Algae wafers, I know not all pleco's are vegetarians and want mine to be eating the complete diet that he needs to thrive. I'm basically looking for advice on other things you've all had success with in the past. All comments are welcome, especially from anyone who has this particular species of pleco.

Thanks in advance, Chris...:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Crispy
11-20-2012, 07:54 AM
sweet potato (or yams) are liked by plecos better IME. zucchini, cukes, watermelon, squash, pumpkin were also favs of my GN.

Dennis Bissett
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
They seem to attack most veggies once they work out its food, persevere with something for a week or so before deciding yes or no, but not leaving it in longer than 24 hours.

Cliff
11-20-2012, 10:56 AM
I also like to add a few algae disks to the veggies that I add to the tank for my plecos. Zucchini, cukes, and watermelon are big favorites but they will eat almost any veggies I put in there

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad226/Cliff_Erhardt/Cliff%20fish%20tank%20pics/Z3.jpg

C-Dub
11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Great thanks everyone!

drmommacat
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
My understanding is that GN plecos are partly carnivorous. About once every week or two I give him some small table shrimp - rubber banded to a rock so that they stay all together and sink to the bottom. Over all the veggies I offer him, he will go for the shrimp every time - it's his favorite. My BN pleco likes it too, but not as much as the GN.

C-Dub
11-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Ok great thanks for the tip... One question what is table shrimp?

drmommacat
11-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Just those little bitty shrimp at the grocery store that people use in salads and dips and stuff. You can usually get a handful or a little tray of them for like $1-2, then freeze them and defrost as needed. They don't care about a little freezer burn. :)

C-Dub
11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
K Gotcha! thanx:22: