PDA

View Full Version : green terror breeding???

peaches9967
09-30-2007, 03:11 AM
I need HELP!!! My boyfriend and I purchased a few cichlids for a new cichlid tank. We bought 1 green terror, 1 jack dempsey, 1 of each (m/f) convicts, 1 fire mouth! Well.....low and behold about a week later (tonight) we saw our green terror lay 13 eggs on a rock in the tank and approximately 10 moniutes later came by and eat them!

We thought she was a HE! But we were wrong! Can she succed in having children without a mate to fertilize them??

Did she eat them because there was no one to fertilize?? I was reading that the can lay up to 400 eggs!! Will she do this all night tonight??? Will this keep happening.....she IS guarding them though!!! Could she have matted in the store an just now be having them?? How does that work??

I've had zebra danio's breed......even seen them do there mating dance!!! Is it like that for them???

SORRY.....I'M STILL A LITTLE GREEN AT THIS....NO PUN INTENED!!!! LOL

peaches

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 03:12 AM
she may have already been impregnated when you bought her. congrats on the eggs!

squirt_12
09-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Also with a male and female convict in the tank...they could kill everything else in the tank when they breed. So i am just giving you a little heads up on that. And they breed very easily and they brred like every 6 weeks i think..i may be wrong though. But i do know that it is not that long.

peaches9967
09-30-2007, 03:40 AM
new to this site .....your tanks all sound nice....I in herited mine from my father. He died last October. Since then my boyfriend David and I have expanded from the 30 gallon..........to a 5 gal nursery tank/ a 10 gallon / a 30 gallon and a 55 gallon. We also have a 20 galllon on stand by (picked up at a garage sale for $5.00).

Does anyone out there know anything about serious breeding???

I have baby zebra danios in a 30 gal community tank with gauramis and angel fish.

I have over 100 guppies (TALK ABOUT BREEDING)!!!

I have a newly created aggresive cichlid tank 30 gal.
I have a 5 gallon nursery tank.
I have a 55 gal tank the is truely my heart! Al my dad's fish and more....it's breath taking!!!
I also have a cavernous 10 gal tank with a Leporade Leaf fish and a Sunset Gaurami that is so colorful and shiny....I say wow every time I watch him!

Do you have a chat room or something to have a convo instead of waiting for reply's???

Dave66
09-30-2007, 03:41 AM
she may have already been impregnated when you bought her. congrats on the eggs!

Cichlids can't be pre-fertilized like livebearers can, coco. Got to have two to tango with Cichlids.
The poster's GT ate the eggs because they were infertle.

Dave

peaches9967
09-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Have Dave thank for the info......I didn't think she could have them with out a male ...but I needed to find out before I woke up to a feeding frenzy in my tank! LOL

peaches9967
09-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Hey squirt........thanks but way a head of you there!That was the first fish I checked out when my boyfriend David wanted to get some. We bought a pair, but don't think they are old enough yet to mate!

squirt_12
09-30-2007, 03:59 AM
well if you want them to mate then get a 20g tank minimun for them to breed in or....just have them in a tank. You should just have them in a tank bythemselves anyways becasue i heard that they were a species only tank...but that is probably just at breeding time.

peaches9967
09-30-2007, 04:15 AM
hey squirt...........already thought of that but we found a "listing" of compatible african cichlids. not sure where my boyfriend found it but lists it by compatible cichlids. lists 1 - 9! We have a #8 tank.

squirt_12
09-30-2007, 04:20 AM
o...ok. lol.