PDA

View Full Version : green spotted puffers with malawian cichlids

nelsonmoh
09-29-2007, 08:51 AM
hi guys,is it possible to have green spotted puffers with malawian like electric yellow lab and pseudotropheus demasoni in a 18 gallon(us) tank..??will they be good tankmates?? i want to have a harmony and colourful cichlid tank rather than a aggresssive tank.i had a crowded and aggressive tank, 12 cichlids, 2 plecos and a crab..they looked so stress..guys, pls give me some suggestions..thanks alot..

kimmers318
09-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Green spotted puffers, aka gsp, t. nigroviridis, are brackish puffers that need full marine conditions as adults and would not be able to live in a fw environment with cichlids.
Having said that, you also need to realize that most puffers will not work well with any tankmates, with cichlids probably being one of the worst options. Puffers like to kill and eat other fish, if they do accept tankmates, like my modestus does, they are not fast fish, they tend to float around the tank lazily unless eating, which would make it even harder on a puffer being with fast aggressive fish. My modestus did okay with barbs, but stayed hidden alot, now he has some cory with him and the barbs get to live with the zippy skunk loaches and he is out and about all the time.
Please, if you ever consider getting a puffer, do loads of research or you may end up with a disaster.

Nick89
09-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Now I dont know a whole lot about puffers, but i do know they are very aggressive fish and they like to eat. What if he went with like a convict cichlid? They get around the same size and same aggression. Convicts have nice coloring and they are really cool. I'm sure if you have enough hiding places and a somewhat large tank it could work. But its really all trial and error. Just experiment around a little and see what can work. Best of luck.

cocoa_pleco
09-29-2007, 09:34 PM
puffers are best only for species only tanks

Nick89
09-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh ok.. Yeah they look funny kind of like little fishing lures lol cool fish.

Drumachine09
09-29-2007, 10:19 PM
12 Cichlids in an 18 gallon tank? Plus 2 plecos and a crab? You are WAAAAAAAAY over stocked. I think you need to rethink your whole tank Idea before buying any fish.

Nick89
09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
you know drum, my thoughts are the same. 18 gallon is what the same length as a 10 gallon but maybe a few inches taller? plecos alone need 75 gallons or more.

Well, depends what type of pleco, clown plecos dont get as big or other similiar ones.

nelsonmoh
09-30-2007, 03:49 AM
guys, pls give me some suggestions...i would rather want a cichlid tank..wat bout 2 demasoni, 2 electric yellow lab and other 2 african cichids..plus 1 pleco...will it be a harmony n stressless tank???

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 03:58 AM
i dont know how it will work with the pleco, maybe add a syndontis catfish too

EDIT- WOAH, only a 18g? the only cichlids you can have are a convict, or a pair of rams, or a krib

Nick89
09-30-2007, 04:21 AM
I didn't think they made an 18 gallon, only 20. Anyways hope you can get your tank straightened out.

Dave66
09-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Aquakid, its probably an acrylic tank. They can be made in odd sizes like that.
Glass tanks are getting there.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 04:58 AM
yep, acrylics are easy to mold, and currently you can have glass molded to odd shapes but its pricey, but once it gets quicker to mold odd shaped glass tanks will be common.

nelsonmoh
09-30-2007, 07:24 PM
the most is 7 cichlids in a 18 gallon as the fish keeper told me..rite? i would like to have 3 small electric yellow lab, 3 small white socofoli and a small pleco as well.possible?? n i just realised that da demasoni is aggressive toward the white socofoli..and the WS will keep on hiding until i feed him..

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
generally you can only keep dwarf cichlids in tanks 33g and under (kribs, rams, etc), and 33g is the minimum for others (africans, tanganyikans, etc.)

kimmers318
10-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Puffers are definitely not a good idea to add to most tanks. Each puffer is an individual and you will occasionally have a mellow one, but not very often. Of the 8 puffers I have only 1 will share.....the rest kill. And be very cautious about a store telling you whether it is FW or not because most of them don't know. They sell GSP and Fig8 as FW, both are brackish, with GSP needing marine as an adult. I bought my modestus and was told he was BW when he is actually FW.

Fish Newbie
10-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Plecos nor convicts should be in with africans...

kentuckygirl
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a puffer in my ciclid tank and they get along great, no problems it was an experiment and it works..