PDA

View Full Version : stunted angels?

cocoa_pleco
09-29-2007, 05:51 AM
way back in early February i got 2 baby nickel sized angelfish, and they went to a 15g for a month, then 20g high, and then the 55g. theyve always had tip top water conditions, great variety of food, and no stress, yet almost 9 months later theyve barely grown. ive raised baby angels to full adults a few years ago and i remember them growing faster. are mine stunted?

Drumachine09
09-29-2007, 06:46 AM
What are you feeding them?

Lady Hobbs
09-29-2007, 01:38 PM
cocoa, I have two marbles and one gold that has remained smaller than all my others. It certainly didn't deminish their aggression any. They are some of my sassiest fish in the tank. My golds were purchased from the same tank at the same time. One is huge, the other a mini. Both males. Marbles are both the same size as the small gold and one is male and one is female.

Go figure.

cocoa_pleco
09-29-2007, 08:42 PM
they get everything, pellets, flakes, bloodworm occasionally, occasionally krill, algae wafers,

the small ones both have long bottom fins, and their fins are huge but their body is the same size as February.

must be natural then

2manyfish
09-30-2007, 02:35 AM
How often are you feeding them? Add an extra feeding or two a day and start changing their water 2x's a week and see if this helps them to grow.

The way you describe their fins (being extra long) is one of the tricks of the trade. You feed your fry good quality food just not as much. The fins will grow longer as they don't require as much energy to grow as the body itself does. But of course you can't go too far with the underfeeding or they won't grow at all!

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 02:37 AM
they eat lots, and get good water changes and water quality. maybe i just have dwarf angels!

2manyfish
09-30-2007, 02:42 AM
You never know!!
Now if you could only breed a dwarf oscar..... :hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
09-30-2007, 02:46 AM
that would be amazing! i would love a dwarf oscar, dwarf pacu, or best, a dwarf arrowana that stays max. 6"!