PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp - how long to adulthood

leicanthrope
09-29-2007, 05:47 AM
How long do Cherry Shrimp typically take to reach full adult size? We've got a batch that seems to be taking forever, but when it comes down to it I've never raised a batch before so I don't quite know what normal is.

Algenco
09-30-2007, 01:39 AM
I would guess about 3 months from hatching. I have so many that it would be impossible to watch a hatch until adulthood. How big are your shrimp?

CAF
09-30-2007, 01:41 AM
I would guess about 3 months from hatching. I have so many that it would be impossible to watch a hatch until adulthood. How big are your shrimp?
Ditto on that... about 6 weeks until sexual maturity.

Delphin
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Cool I just found this section of the forums!

Good question and answers.:confused:

I love our Red Cherry shrimp weve had for about 4 weeks now Not sure how old they were when we got them but some have gotten much bigger and brighter red, maybe the females in particular. Hard to get a good look to figure whos male and female.

They love the piece of driftwood I put in last week.
Our dwarf gourami harasses them sometimes. Bummer
Now they mostly only come out at night.
I try and feed them algae wafers after dark.
They have moss to hide in.
We pluged the holes in the fake log so only the shrimp can go in and out not the fish.
I got a sponge to cover the intake when/if we get babies.
Still looking for the yellow sadle(s) and eggs...
I think one is starting to show signs.:19:
(I think its 3-5 weeks from eggs to babies, good article in Tropical Fish USA)
LFS said with big colony they got fry every few weeks. But I'd asume its different females each time.
I cant wait to read more posts from other cherry lovers.:malelovies: LOL

CAF
10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Females will generally be larger and more colorful than the males. The female will also develop a white saddle across her back when she is getting ready to drop eggs.

marques-souza
04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Hey guys,

Does any one know how long does it take from the time you first see the saddle till the time the female is fertilized and lay down her eggs to her swimmerets?

I know it varies, but I just wanted to have an idea.

Thanks.

Algenco
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
A week or two, depending on temp and feedings. The eggs will move to the swimmerettes when she molts