PDA

View Full Version : A DYI tank divider?

Hailey
09-29-2007, 03:53 AM
I was wondering if there was a way you could make a DYI tank divider. I really need one but I live in a really small town and the LFS nearest to me don't have any. Plus I'm not going to get into town anytime soon (well maybe next weekend).

zackish
09-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Only thing I can think of is measure carefully and get a piece of plexi-glass. Either way you are going to have to by some kind of thin wall-like thing.

cocoa_pleco
09-29-2007, 04:06 AM
hmm, ive heard of acrylic sheets or eggcrate being used

Dave66
09-29-2007, 05:19 AM
You'll need these: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/4016/cid/1183
Depends on the size of the fish, but plastic egg crate would work. Needs to allow water flow through.

Dave

Hailey
09-29-2007, 06:19 AM
k, thanks guys

Arkie
09-29-2007, 08:23 AM
when i had to divide my tank in half i just used a piece of my old undergravel filter.

Lady Hobbs
09-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I was thinking of getting a piece of plexi-glass and cutting it half inch shorter than the tank and sliding some suction cups on the sides. I happen to have a glass cutting board that I use now and then but it's the same width as the tank so I have to pile rocks up to hold it in place.

The egg crate thing sounds very good to me. Make sure you have no fish than can get stuck in the holes.

Glad you posted this thread as now I have more idea's, as well.

KINGMED
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
What I do is use the craft sheets from walmart that are less than 50 cents each and use report cover binders that come in red, black and I belive a few more colors sold in a package at walmart for 2 to 3 dollars for 8 of them. The tank will look something like this, you can either silicone the report covers to the sides of the tank and let dry for 48 or so hrs. or you can fit into place with craft sheets inplace with plenty of rock to keep from moving. I've even used small suction cups that you stick things on the glass with, the ones about as big as a quater work pretty good and with alittle manuevering can fit it into the craft sheet holes. I bend the sides so as the craft sheet fits good and then attach the suction cups to the bent sides and then to the glass, this may not be the best way to keep 2 male bettas from getting with each other unless you work with it.

snipers_den
01-01-2008, 02:42 AM
a trip to the hardware or arts craft store for some thin plastic sheet and a drill bit do fine

mitcore
01-01-2008, 03:34 AM
i agree with the plastic sheet
i have just done that to my angel breeding tank
works really well and was very cheap to do

mp3rp
01-01-2008, 04:35 AM
What ever you do DO NOT USE PLEXI-GLASS. Ive made one and thought it would be nice. The thing is a fish murderer, trust me. Every time I had to use it all my fish died, however at that time I didn't know that. Then after about the 4th time I used it I thought that the plexi is the thing that causes the death of my fish. Trust me and stay away from plexi.

kkevvy
01-01-2008, 07:28 AM
What ever you do DO NOT USE PLEXI-GLASS. Ive made one and thought it would be nice. The thing is a fish murderer, trust me. Every time I had to use it all my fish died, however at that time I didn't know that. Then after about the 4th time I used it I thought that the plexi is the thing that causes the death of my fish. Trust me and stay away from plexi.

Acrylic tanks are really popular. Acrylic is plexi glass. It was probably treated with something on the surface.

Harls
01-01-2008, 10:47 AM
You Can use the binder covers and then tie it to a stick and lean the stick across the top and the tie the bottom to a rock then cover the bottom gap with rocks

Becikeja
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
You need to explain what you are trying to separate first. If you are separating fry and juveniles you could use plastic sheets as suggested above, but you will have to make sure you maintain water quality separately on each side of the divider and also feed on each side. If you are separating aggressive fish or species that are bigger than an 1.5" then my recommendation is to go to your local DIY store (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Ace....) and get a piece of white egg crate used for drop in ceiling commercial lighting. Don't get the reflective kind, it looks good but will start to flake in the tank after several weeks (no Good). The Basic white is cheap, it cuts easy, it's rigid, it looks good, easy to clean algae off.

Good luck.

Lady Hobbs
01-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Make sure if you have small fish they can get thru the openings without getting stuck. I bought one for $10 that was junk. The egg crate would be a lot better but you have to put hooks thru the top to hang over the tank frame or somehow glue suction cups to the sides.

Becikeja
01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Mounting is simple, depending on the type of fish you have. If your fish are somewhat passive for the most part after being separated then simply pile gravel about 2" on each side. If your fish are somewhat aggressive you may want to attach suction cups. To do this simply take a plastic wire tie wrap from the electrical isle at your DIY, string it through the grate, wrap it around the bulb end of the suction cup tightly, cut off the access and it works perfect. I typically try to stay away from glue as much as possible. Yeah if it cures correctly it will be fine, but that takes days, not minutes. By the time I need a divider, I need a divider now and don't have time for the glue to cure.

Good idea to keep an eye out to make sure nothing gets stuck going in between. But again, if you have small fish use something with small holes, if you have larger fish the drop in ceiling light crate works great.