PDA

View Full Version : A new section on algae scrubbers?

Cermet
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Since I discovered and started using algae scrubbers I have really been impressed with these units. Besides solving my algae growth issues by removing phosphates and reducing nitrates, I’ve really been sold on a single, small in tank unit for my tank. The small unit I have would easily fit just a 5 gal tank!

So, would not a permanent sticky on building/maintaining and using these devices be useful?

Another possible point would be for cycling. Since standard filters can take many weeks to fully cycle and many people want fish day one, would not these units help?, Since an algae scrubber can be ‘cycled’ within just one week, such a unit would allow people to add a few fish to there tank safely. Yes, this would slow a standard filter from cycling but as fish are slowly added over a few weeks, the standard filter would cycle as the scrubber’s capabilities to process waste are slowly exceeded. So, a scrubber would cycle a tank nearly instantly and then allow a new standard filter to slowly grow as more fish are added (the scrubber will be small so it will still require a larger normal biofilter as more fish are added.) This would save a lot of first timers.

I am NOT suggesting a thread or major section just a permanent sticky with a related title that contains a basic intro section on building/operation and maintenance of these very simple units.

Since these units can eliminate phosphates without costly and the constant need to add the absorbers repeatily and for the average tank, athese units can really hold nitrates at bay, I'd think this type of device would be ideal for any and all aquarium keepers. This is especially true now since very small, near zero maintenance units for in tank use are available or can easily be built. I'd think these units are the next best thing in aquarium maintenance developed in some time considering cost, and simplicity.

The list of advantages over standard filters is interesting and informative:

1)Removes phosphates – no other biofilter will do this at all
2)Removes some or for larger units, all nitrates. No biofilter can do this at such a low cost
3)Very small and little maintenance for in tank, LED based units
4)Very low cost to buy (less than a low end canister) and even lower cost if built
5)Reduces water changes (some)
6)Reduces electric usage compared to large filters and since fewer water changes are required, less hot water usage and/or water cost
7)Allows a single standard biofilter to be used on the tank and that unit need not be very large (still, I would consider only an advanced user to consider depending solely on an algae scrubber for all bio-filtering)
8)Cycles up within one week!
9)Maintenance is very simple – clean away algae in the unit’s ‘grill’ once a week – that’s it
10)Will generally prevent algae growth in the tank as long as lighting/intensity/duration is proper
11)Is the only system I’m aware of that can keep a closed system (of course, less water changes) operating indefinitely (this was proven by the National Aquarium in Washington for a reef tank)
12)Since in tank scrubber units require an air pump, the addition of a scrubber will add oxygen to the tank
:hmm3grin2orange: