PDA

View Full Version : jag clean up crew

liamoi
06-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Any ideas on a clean up crew/ scavenger (group or individual) for going in with a jaguar cichlid?

Full3R
06-17-2006, 03:17 PM
large plecos or clown loaches of similair size, as long as they cant swallow them

liamoi
06-17-2006, 03:29 PM
any other ideas? don't really like clown loaches or plecs!

William
06-17-2006, 06:44 PM
There are a large number of large cats you could consider such as for example pictus, mystus or red tailed cats. ( non are algea eaters)

Fishguy2727
08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
those arent cleanup crews. big predatory cats dont clean up after anyone, they simply add to the mess since they are predatory and at best scavenge off corpses. plecos will eat algae while small, but the commons will also be more harm than good over a certain size when they stop eating algae and simply add a lot of waste to the tank. clown loaches could work, but unless the jag grew up with them (im not sure of its current size) the jag will most likely eat them. how big is it? if it is small enough Synodontis eupterus are a good choice unless you want to keep it biotope specific, which im assuming you dont. have you been feeding it live food at all? if so that will greatly reduce the chances of success with the cleanup crew. my jags tank is very clean with just the filtration in there and me wiping off algae every once in a while. if you are having debris collect on the bottom you may want to add filtration/water flow or reduce the decor that catches the debris. what size tank? what filtration is on there now? what is your water change/gravel vacuuming schedule?

William
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Depends on what he means with clean up crew. Large cats will eat food that sinks to the bottom and thereby help keep the tank clean but if he is looking for something to eat algae, debris etc than they are as you say useless.

I assumed the first but perhaps I shouldn't have ;-)

And welcome to the forum. ALways nice to se another large cichlid lover around.

Fishguy2727
08-11-2006, 05:12 PM
maybe the pictus. cant remember how big the mystus get. but the redtail wouldnt be an option either way. even if he asked for a good bottom dwelling predator i wouldnt encourage anyone to get a redtail unless i know they have a massive tank that could actually handle a 4-5', 75lbs.+ catfish.

William
08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
True.
But you should have a massive tank to keep a potentially 2 ft aggressive jag as well.

You are however right, shouldn't have suggested the red tail. There are several different Mystus species that grows to very different sizes, some of them grow to about the size of a red tail while other only reach 5 inch. Might exist smaller species.

Fishguy2727
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
the biggest max size for jags ive seen is 20", and thats only for the males. there was a VERY long thread on another forum over my jag's tank size. in the end a mod who is very experienced with cichlids and even breeding jags said that my 75 done right would be fine for a pair, so even better for the bachelor i have. i dont think i have heard of anyone with a captive jag even 20", let alone 24". so a jag doesnt need even close to the tank size a redtail would.

William
08-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes. Tank size can create some heated debates. Personally I would suggest a larger tank for Jags if it was to be their permanent home but your tank is without a doubt large enough for your lone male at this time.

Fishguy2727
08-11-2006, 06:25 PM
even if he hits 20" it should be fine. obviously ideally he would be in much bigger, but i think he should do great in the 75 all to his own permanently, especially with the filtration he has and the water change schedule i have for all my tanks.

William
08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I won’t argue with you. You are obviously a experienced aquarist and as such able to give your fish a good home even if you keep them in smaller tanks than I would recommend to less experienced fish keepers.

Never kept a jag alone in a tank. Have you tried giving him toys? Have heard that they like playing with floating ping pong balls and other items when they are kept alone in a tank.

Your sig says that you change 75% a week. How do you schedule that? 25% every other day or what?

Fishguy2727
08-11-2006, 06:45 PM
no, im usually off on mondays, so among other things all the tanks get their water changes on monday. if im not mistaken you are concerned about such a large water change at any given time. the more often you do your water changes the more you can do at a time. the shorter time between water chanegs the less time the water in the tank has to shift from the chemistry coming out of the tap (well water at my house by the way) allowing a much lower risk of any shock to the fish. and since biological filtration isnt based in the water column itself, there is no problem as far as that is concerned anyways. i was VERY skeptical of all this when i first heard it, but after some convincing tried it and was amazed at the results. the "thriving" that i thought i got out of fish before is not true thriving compared to when they get big frequent water changes.

for the record there are many thigns i do or have done that i dont suggest to others (a full grown male jag in a 75 for example). so i too wouldnt suggest such a tank size for the species to anyone unless i knew they could provide the very ample filtration and the same water schedule i have.

William
08-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Nah. I wasn’t concerned about the size of the water change. I know that you can make such large water changes if and when you know what you’re doing. I was just curious: Thought I might learn something new.

Juannie
10-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Question, I'm a newbie here and am wondering about Jag's. Mine is i with an Oscar & very large pleco, I don't mess around with the water too much except for water changes every couple of weeks. I had salt and on the water changes Water Conditioner. They're used to a wamer temp because I'm in that sort of climate (Gold Coast, Australia). What tips do you have in looking after these guys? I've had mine for about 1year and it's very healthy, I'd love to get it a mate but don't have the room - they're in a 4foot x18in tank.

Fishguy2727
10-25-2006, 02:23 AM
a new thread would make it easier to address your issues. but unless the salt is made specifically for central american cichlids (which wouldnt be good for the oscar) dont use it at all. water changes should be weekly and 75%. get rid of the pleco, it will be more of a mess than it will be worth, especially as everyone gets massive. what filtration? diet?

Juannie
11-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks for that, I've had to move the Jag from my 4 foot tank anyway, it was attacking the oscar and making a mess (even tho the oscar is larger). I've put the synspilum in with the oscar and they're much happier, the jag is in a smaller 2 foot tank till i move it in too a 3 footer. It seems pretty happy there, though loves too move ALL the gravel to one side (I'm assuming this is for laying of eggs>!).